Prove that this proposition about series is false

dunkelheit

Find a counterexample for the proposition
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n < \infty \Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{|a_n|}{n} < \infty[/MATH]
The counterexample is not hard to find, but I think that is much easier using the contrapositive: I think that the contrapositive is
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{|a_n|}{n} = \infty \Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n = \infty[/MATH]So for the contrapositive I would use [MATH]a_n = \frac{1}{n}[/MATH], hence
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\left|\frac{1}{n}\right|}{n} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} < \infty \Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} = \infty [/MATH]So the contrapositive is false and hence the original proposition is false too.
So my doubts are:
1) is the contrapositive of the initial proposition actually the one I've written before or am I wrong?
Would it be the same if I write the contrapositive as it follows
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n = \infty \Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{|a_n|}{n} = \infty[/MATH]Or not?
2) In general, finding a counterexample for the contropositive is equivalent to finding counterexample for the non contropositive? I think yes because they're logically equivalent, but I'm not sure.
Thanks.

The counterexample is not hard to find, but I think that is much easier using the contrapositive: I think that the contrapositive is
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{|a_n|}{n} = \infty \Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n = \infty[/MATH]
So post your counter-example so that we can see what you mean. And we can check your work.

How does your example make the contrapositive false? Its condition is not true.

(1) You have the right contrapositive; your alternative is the inverse, not the contrapositive.

(2) Yes.

@pka: the counterexample is done with the sequence [MATH]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\ln (n+1)}[/MATH], we have that for the alternating series test
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{\ln (n+1)} < \infty[/MATH]But for comparison with generalized harmonic series is
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\left|\frac{(-1)^n}{\ln (n+1)}\right|}{n} =\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n \ln (n+1)} = \infty[/MATH]
@Dr.Peterson: Okay, maybe now I get it: so the contrapositive is well written but my example fails because, using the contrapositive, I have to show an [MATH]a_n[/MATH] such that [MATH]\frac{|a_n|}{n}[/MATH] has divergent series but [MATH]a_n[/MATH] has a convergent series in order to get a counterexample for the contrapositive. Am I right?

Thanks to both of you.

Last edited:
@pka: the counterexample is done with the sequence [MATH]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\ln (n+1)}[/MATH], we have that for the alternating series test
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{\ln (n+1)} < \infty[/MATH]But for comparison with generalized harmonic series is
[MATH]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\left|\frac{(-1)^n}{\ln (n+1)}\right|}{n} =\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n \ln (n+1)} = \infty[/MATH]
I think that you could profit from studding the logic of counterexamples. Counterexample can disprove a proposition but you know that an example cannot prove a proposition.

@pka: You're right, I wrote "prove" in the title but then I wrote "find a counterexample" in the text of the exercise, of course I wanted to disprove it (sorry for the time loss).

@pka: You're right, I wrote "prove" in the title but then I wrote "find a counterexample" in the text of the exercise, of course I wanted to disprove it (sorry for the time loss).
But "prove ... false" is the same as "disprove", for which a counterexample is appropriate. Your title is fine, and I read it as intended.

On the other hand, the counterexample in post #4 is not what you originally used, which briefly confused me.

@Dr.Peterson: Oh okay, sorry, I thought it was clear: in #4 I show a counterexample for the original statement, while I used [MATH]\frac{1}{n}[/MATH] as a counterexample for the (badly written) contrapositive statement (so the latter is obviously wrong, because there was a flaw in my understand of how the contrapositive works). I hope that now it is clear, sorry for the bad organization of my answers.
Saying that, is what I've said in #4 correct (if it is understandable :D)? Thanks again.