Prove there is a value for x

Jorreke

Hello! I'm trying to solve exercise 19b (see attached image). Previously, it was shown that there is no value for x if the square root of x is negative, so this is how I approached the exercise. I tried to solve it in 2 different ways, and both times the square root is obviously positive. However, the answer in the book says there is no x. Is the book wrong? I attached my solutions also.
Thanks,

Joris

Attachments

• IMG20230512101307.jpg
    IMG20230512101307.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2023-05-12-10-06-29-74_4a24d271e133915ae237d4bec6ffe368.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-12-10-06-29-74_4a24d271e133915ae237d4bec6ffe368.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 8
Hello! I'm trying to solve exercise 19b (see attached image).
I'll type it out, so people can see what you're talking about:

19. Solve the following, if possible:

a) [imath]\sqrt{x-2\,} = 3 + 2\sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

b) [imath]\sqrt{x-2\,} = 3 - 2\sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

c) [imath]\sqrt{x+3\,} = 1 + \sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

d) [imath]\sqrt{x+3\,} = 1 -\sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

e) [imath]\sqrt{x-4\,} = 3 + \sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

f) [imath]\sqrt{x-4\,} = 3 - \sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

Previously, it was shown that there is no value for x if the square root of x is negative, so this is how I approached the exercise. I tried to solve it in 2 different ways, and both times the square root is obviously positive. However, the answer in the book says there is no x. Is the book wrong? I attached my solutions also.
Unfortunately, I can't read sideways well, and I'm having trouble making out what you posted.

Eliz.

Last edited:
I'll type it out, so people can see what you're talking about:

19. Solve the following, if possible:

a) [imath]\sqrt{x-2\,} = 3 + 2\sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

c) [imath]\sqrt{x+3\,} = 1 + \sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

d) [imath]\sqrt{x+3\,} = 1 -\sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

e) [imath]\sqrt{x-4\,} = 3 + \sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

f) [imath]\sqrt{x-4\,} = 3 - \sqrt{x\,}[/imath]

Unfortunately, I can't read sideways well, and I'm having trouble making out what you posted.

Eliz.
In the same spirit I am contributing a rotated version of the OP's image

Attachments

• r.jpg
    r.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I'm trying to solve exercise 19b (see attached image). Previously, it was shown that there is no value for x if the square root of x is negative, so this is how I approached the exercise. I tried to solve it in 2 different ways, and both times the square root is obviously positive. However, the answer in the book says there is no x. Is the book wrong? I attached my solutions also.
Thanks,

Joris
a) √(x - 2) = 3 + 2√x.............................................Square both sides

(x - 2) = (3 + 2√x )^2 ........................................ expand and simplify and substitute for √x and get a quadratic equation and solve it..... and continue

Thanks,

Joris

If we graph the two sides of the equation, we can see that there is a solution. So the book is wrong if it says there is no solution. (Does it really?)

1684032407584.png

Checking it, [imath]\sqrt{2.024-2}=0.155[/imath], and [imath]3-2\sqrt{2.024}=0.155[/imath].

On the other hand, your first solution is about 6.643, which is not correct. You omitted a plus-or-minus, and the negative sign gives the correct solution:

1684033015382.png

You didn't finish solving the second way. But in both, you are ignoring the fact that squaring (in the first step and later) loses information about signs, producing likely extraneous solutions. There is no guarantee that whatever you find will actually work.

I'm not sure what you are saying the book is teaching about "if the square root of x is negative"; I think you are misinterpreting it. Can you show us what they said?