Proving two subsequences have different limits: x0∈[0,1] and xn+1=1−x2n

pisrationalhahaha

\(\displaystyle (x)_n\) is a sequence defined by \(\displaystyle x_0\in [0,1]\) and \(\displaystyle x_{n+1}=1-x_n^2\)
Already proved that \(\displaystyle \forall n\in \mathbb{N},x_n\in [0,1]\) (first part of the exercise)
The second part they asked to show that the two sequences \(\displaystyle (x_{2n})\) and \(\displaystyle (x_{2n+1})\) converge to different limits
The problem is that I never used to find limits of recurrent sequences whose first term is defined by an interval instead of a value
I'm stuck at this point never knowing what to do
I tried to study the function f(x)=1-x^2 which is decreasing on [0,1] and see if f(f(\(\displaystyle (x_{2n})\))) is increasing or not....
Any hints ?

\(\displaystyle (x)_n\) is a sequence defined by \(\displaystyle x_0\in [0,1]\) and \(\displaystyle x_{n+1}=1-x_n^2\)
Already proved that \(\displaystyle \forall n\in \mathbb{N},x_n\in [0,1]\) (first part of the exercise)
The second part they asked to show that the two sequences \(\displaystyle (x_{2n})\) and \(\displaystyle (x_{2n+1})\) converge to different limits
The problem is that I never used to find limits of recurrent sequences whose first term is defined by an interval instead of a value
I tried to study the function f(x)=1-x^2 which is decreasing on [0,1] and see if f(f(\(\displaystyle (x_{2n})\))) is increasing or not....
Any hints ?

I would start by just trying to get familiar with the problem. The idea is that x0 can be anything in 0<=x<=1, and you create a recursive sequence from it. Try a few different starting numbers, such as 0, .1, .5, .9, 1 and see if it is true that the even terms approach one limit and the odd terms another. (I did that with a quick spreadsheet, and it quickly became clear - especially starting with 0 or 1!)

Having convinced myself that the claim is right, and seen what it means in specific cases, I would then probably consider xn+2 as a function of xn, and think about what that transformation preserves -- that is, what will be common to all even, or all odd, terms. Your suggestion (is it an increasing function) may be exactly what you need.

Main idea here: when you have no idea what to do, "play" (i.e. experiment). Then go with whatever you discovered.

Any hints ?
You should certainly play around with real number in [0,1] to see what is going on. After you are satisfied as to what is going on you do your proof by letting x0 = a, where \(\displaystyle a\in [0,1]\) and go from there.

I would start by just trying to get familiar with the problem. The idea is that x0 can be anything in 0<=x<=1, and you create a recursive sequence from it. Try a few different starting numbers, such as 0, .1, .5, .9, 1 and see if it is true that the even terms approach one limit and the odd terms another. (I did that with a quick spreadsheet, and it quickly became clear - especially starting with 0 or 1!)

Having convinced myself that the claim is right, and seen what it means in specific cases, I would then probably consider xn+2 as a function of xn, and think about what that transformation preserves -- that is, what will be common to all even, or all odd, terms. Your suggestion (is it an increasing function) may be exactly what you need.

Main idea here: when you have no idea what to do, "play" (i.e. experiment). Then go with whatever you discovered.
\(\displaystyle x_{n+2}=1-x_{n+1}^2=1-(1-x_n^2)^2=(-x_n^2+2)(x_n^2)\)
Then what ?
We take two cases ? (If n is odd or even)
I can't yet understad how these two subsequences have different limits
Why ?

Then what ?
I can't yet understand how these two subsequences have different limits
Why ?

What did you learn from experimentation? You should have at least a guess.

The important thing is that this recurrence produces either the sequence of odd terms or the sequence of even terms. Whether n is odd or even in itself has no effect; it will be a question of what kind of number you start with.

One thing you might do is to find out when xn+2 = xn. (You may at first think this can't be solved, but it can.) Then you can consider whether this subsequence is increasing or decreasing.

Then what ?
I can't yet understad how these two subsequences have different limits
Why ?
Please let x0 = 1 and then tell us the first 10 terms. Please do the same with x0 = 0. Then try it with x0 = .1 (just to the first 5 terms). We just want to make sure you see what is going on!

Please let x0 = 1 and then tell us the first 10 terms. Please do the same with x0 = 0. Then try it with x0 = .1 (just to the first 5 terms). We just want to make sure you see what is going on!
Okay it's much clearer right now
If \(\displaystyle x_0=1\) then \(\displaystyle x_{2n}=1\) and \(\displaystyle x_{2n+1}=0\)
If \(\displaystyle x_{0}=0\) then \(\displaystyle x_{2n}=0\) and \(\displaystyle x_{2n+1}=1\)
So now it's proved that they approach different limits by counterexample, right ?

If \(\displaystyle x_0=1\) then \(\displaystyle x_{2n}=1\) and \(\displaystyle x_{2n+1}=0\)
If \(\displaystyle x_{0}=0\) then \(\displaystyle x_{2n}=0\) and \(\displaystyle x_{2n+1}=1\)
So now it's proved that they approach different limits by counterexample, right ?

This is only an example, not a proof of anything (except that the sequence does not always have a single limit).

You still need to show that, for any initial value, each of the two sequences has a limit.

Have you tried other starting values?

This is only an example, not a proof of anything (except that the sequence does not always have a single limit).

You still need to show that, for any initial value, each of the two sequences has a limit.

Have you tried other starting values?
Yes I tried for 0.5 and 0.1
It's hard for me to prove it for any initial value

Yes I tried for 0.5 and 0.1
It's hard for me to prove it for any initial value

You've been given some suggestions that, as far as I can tell, you haven't followed.

For simplicity, let me rewrite the formula using x for xn and x' for xn+2. You have

x' = x^2(2 - x^2)

I asked when x' = x, and told you that although you might think this is hard, it can be done.

I also asked about the sequence being monotonic. Can you find under what conditions x' > x or x' < x?

These ideas will help you greatly in showing that the limits exist, and perhaps in finding what they are, for any starting x.

Don't just say it's hard; of course it is, or this wouldn't be an interesting problem! Do something, and show what you did. Sometimes just telling someone else what you have done helps you see the next step.

Any hints ?

Actually this is not quite true. For example when is xn+1 = xn in [0,1]. Otherwise consider starting values below this number and starting values above this number, call it x=. Assume x0 is less than x=, what is the relationship between x1 and x=. Assume x0 is greater than x=, what is the relationship between x1 and x=. Given that, what about x2, x3, etc.

You only proved it for x0 = 1 and x0 = 1. You are done iff that was what you were asked to prove. So do you think that you are done?

Solution

You are trying to prove the following:

If x is a member of [0,1] and xn+1 = 1 - (xn)2 then

1.) xn is a member of [0,1] for all n <= 0, and

2.) the subsequences {x2n} and {x2n+1} must converge to different limits.

Statement 1 can be proven true using an inductive argument (or perhaps by some other means). You've already done this so no problem.

Statement 2 can be proven false if there is one x0 which is a member of [0,1] and for which the subsequences {x2n} and {x2n+1} derived fro x0 converge to the same limit. Let x0 = (sqrt(5)-1)/2. Then xn is a member of [0,1] and xn = x0 for all n >= 0 (try it). Then {xn} is a constant sequence. Likewise {x2n} and {x2n+1} are constant sequences. Thus both {x2n} and {x2n+1} converge to x0. Hence statement 2 is false.

Statement 2 is true whenever x0 is a member of [0,1] but x0 is not equal to (sqrt(5)-1)/2. This is because the sequences {x2n} and {x2n+1} are monotonically opposite. When 0 <= x0 < (sqrt(5)-1)/2 then {x2n} is monotone decreasing while {x2n+1} is monotone increasing. Hence, they must converge to different limits. When (sqrt(5)-1)/2 < x0 <= 1 the situation is reversed. If anyone is interested in more details let me know and I can outline the proof more completely. Very cool problem.