Pumping Gas and Diesel Fuel problems...

G

Hello all! I know these problems aren't that difficult, but I keep getting confused, especially with setting up the equations for my integral... Thanks in advance for your help!

1.Pumping Diesel Fuel: The fuel tank on a truck has trapezoidal cross sections with dimensions (in feet). Assume that an engine is approximately 3 feet above the top of the fuel tank adn that diesel fuel weights approximately 53.1 lbs/ft^3. Find the work done by the fuel pump in raising a full tank of fuel to the level of the engine.

2. Pumping Gasoline: Find the work done in pumping gasoline that weighs 42 lbs/ft^3. (Hint: Evaluate one integral by a geometric formula and the other by observing that the integrand is an odd function). The top of a cylindrical storage tank for gasoline at a service station is 4 ft below ground level. The axis of the tank is horizontal and its diameter and length are 5ft and 12ft respectively. Find the work done in pumping the entire contents of the full tank to a height of 3ft above ground level.

It helped me a lot to draw a picture of the problem to put everything in perspective, but I keep coming up with f(x)'s that don't work. Thanks again for your help!

Arcainine

#1. It would appear you forgot the tank dimensions.

#2: The gas has to be pumped 7 feet above the tank(3 feet above the tank + the tank is 4 feet underground). The radius of the tank is 5/2.

\(\displaystyle \L\\W=\int_{\frac{-5}{2}}^{\frac{5}{2}}(\frac{19}{2}-x)(42)(2\sqrt{\frac{25}{4}-x^{2}})(12)dx\)

tankpx5.gif