Pythagorean Theorem: Intergrated Math

Cutiepie

I am just starting to learn how to use the pythagorean theorem. I have encountered a problem that asks me to apply it to an isosceles triangle. I can see that each side forms a right triangle and both legs are equal. The problem: An isosceles triangle has a height of 12in and two sides of 18in. How long is the base?Iam not sure how to begin. I do know that I should double the answer for the measurement of the entire length. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

The summit angle if an isosceles triangle is the angle formed by the congruent sides.
The median from the summit angle is perpendicular bisector of the base of a isosceles triangle.
Given isosceles ΔABC, AB=AC then if M is the midpoint of BC then ΔAMB is a right triangle. Apply the he Pythagorean theorem: AB<SUP>2</SUP>=BM<SUP>2</SUP>+MA<SUP>2</SUP>.

You are given AB & AM. You are to find 2BM.

thanks for the reply but I am only in the 7th grade do not under stand half of what u wrote. Please send the simple version. Thanks. CP

Hint: The height line divided the isosceles triangle into two of what sort of triangle? (Review the definition of "altitude", if you're not sure.)

Eliz.

a2+b2=c2 324+_=144, 324-144=180 square root of 180= 13.4 the double measurement = 26.8in? is this correct? problem is isosceles triangle has a height of 12in and two sides of 18in. How long is the base?

Cutiepie said:
a2+b2=c2 324+_=144, 324-144=180 square root of 180= 13.4 the double measurement = 26.8in? is this correct? problem is isosceles triangle has a height of 12in and two sides of 18in. How long is the base?

Correct...but by luck! Next time, type this way:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
12^2 + b^2 = 18^2
b^2 = 324 - 144
b^2 = 180
b = sqrt(180) = ~13.4

Hello, Cutiepie!

I'll give it a try . . .

An isosceles triangle has a height of 12in and two sides of 18in.
How long is the base?
Code:
            A
           /:\
          / : \
      18 /  :  \ 18
        / 12:   \
       /    :    \
      * - - + - - *
      B     M     C
We have isosceles triangle \(\displaystyle ABC\) with \(\displaystyle AB\,=\,AC\,=\,18\)
\(\displaystyle \;\;\) and its height is \(\displaystyle AM\,=\,12\)

Using Pythagorus on right triangle \(\displaystyle AMC\) we have:
\(\displaystyle \;\;MC^2\,+\,12^2\:=\:18^2\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;MC^2\,+\,144\:=\:324\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;MC^2\:=\:180\)

Hence: \(\displaystyle MC\:=\:\sqrt{180}\:=\:6\sqrt{5}\)

Therefore: \(\displaystyle \;\)base \(\displaystyle BC\:=\:2\,\times\,MC\:=\:2(6\sqrt{5})\:=\:12\sqrt{5}\)

stapel is saying that the altitude splits the triangle into two right triangles

cutiepie u know that a^2+b^2=c^2
right now you know a and c.

\(\displaystyle sqrt{18^2-12^2}=B\) B=13.42 (which is rounded to 2 decimal places)

(when denis says "b = sqrt(180)", he means \(\displaystyle b\,=\,\sqrt{180}\))

right now "B" is only half of the entire base, B*2=26.84 (which is rounded to 2 decimal places)

hope this helps.