q34

Saumyojit

In the Suniti Building in Mumbai there are 12 floors plus the ground floor. 9 people get into the lift of the building on the ground floor. The lift does not stop on the first floor. If 2,3 and 4 people alight from the lift on its upward journey ,then in how many ways can they do so?(Assume they alight on different floors)

11P2 * 9p3 * 6p4 . Selected any two floor for 2 person group and as it is not mentioned both of them will alight on same floor thats why rearrantgement of floor , thenSame for triplets , then for quadra .

WHere ami wrong?

In the Suniti Building in Mumbai there are 12 floors plus the ground floor. 9 people get into the lift of the building on the ground floor. The lift does not stop on the first floor. If 2,3 and 4 people alight from the lift on its upward journey ,then in how many ways can they do so?(Assume they alight on different floors)
Once again, this is very poorly worded, so the first task is to interpret it and clearly state what you think it means. That must be done before trying to solve it, because until the problem is interpreted, there is nothing to solve (and you can't be wrong!).

So please try rewording the problem in a way that makes sense, and that clarify implications such as that there are 11 floors (2 through 12) where it stops. In particular, what do you think "2, 3 and 4 people alight from the lift on its upward journey" means? And what does "they" refer to?

Addenda:
What does "quadra" mean to you?

Are there choices to pick from?

How do you know you're wrong?

I think that 2 people from two people group can descend off from lift either on diff floor or same floor and same goes for the 3 and 4 groups also.
So, the groups are irrelevant, since people in each group can leave separately? That doesn't make much sense.

["they" refers to] 9 persons
I think the first "they" probably refers to the individuals (taking them as distinguishable), but the second "they" has to refer to the three groups, not to individuals (so that each group leaves, together, on a different floor from the other groups).

I saw the answer
The next question for you is, since you know what you did is wrong, have you considered changing your interpretation?

That is absolutely the thing you should have done, because quite often the most common mistakes in these problems are misinterpretation (or rather, choosing a different interpretation of a somewhat ambiguous problem than the author chose), and practical misinterpretation (using a counting scheme that doesn't really match the problem).

1632765825203.png

Here is how I would rephrase the question in the way that makes most sense to me, which is what I asked you to do:

In the Suniti Building in Mumbai there are 12 floors plus the ground floor. 9 people get into the lift of the building on the ground floor. The lift does not stop on the first floor. (That is, it can stop at any of floors 2 through 12.) If three groups of 2, 3 and 4 people alight from the lift on its upward journey, then in how many ways can they (the people) do so? (Assume the groups alight on different floors)​

So I would interpret it as saying that the three groups have to leave on three different floors, so that two people leave on one floor, the three leave on another, and the four leave on yet another. So we can choose three floors, distinguishably (11P3), then choose two people for the group of 2 (9C2), and three for the group of three (7C3), and the remaining 4 are in the group of four (4C4 = 1). So the answer should be 11P3*9C2*7C3. Since I see this is not a choice, but 11P3*9C4*5C3 is, I see that they just chose the group of 4 first rather than last.

This is a risk in these multiple-choice problems that give a formula rather than a numerical answer, that you might use a different formula that is equivalent. Another way I considered was to treat the selection of people as arranging the letters AABBBCCCC, so that rather than combinations we would have 9!/(2!3!4!). But a glance at the choices had told me not to do that.

ok understood . It is question about groups and yes i forgot to choose groups from 9 Big mistake i had done.
we can choose three floors, distinguishably (11P3), then choose two people for the group of 2 (9C2), and three for the group of three (7C3), and the remaining 4 are in the group of four (4C4 = 1).