Quadrilateral

Radit2125

Could You help me solve this problem:
THE MIDDLES OF A QUADRANGLE ARE CONNECTED. WHAT IS THE RATIO BETWEEN THE AREAS OF THE TWO QUADRANGLES?
*the only thing I know is that the second quadrangle is a parallelogram

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 4
Is it possible that you state clearly which you consider the 1st and 2nd parallelogram?

Could You help me solve this problem:
THE MIDDLES OF A QUADRANGLE ARE CONNECTED. WHAT IS THE RATIO BETWEEN THE AREAS OF THE TWO QUADRANGLES?
*the only thing I know is that the second quadrangle is a parallelogram
See attached image. I don't quite get your diagram.
In my image note the 4 shaded triangles. They appear to be congruent. What do you think? How many of them belong to the second quadrilateral? What's the ratio of areas?

Attachments

• 20210121_103805.jpg
    20210121_103805.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
See attached image. I don't quite get your diagram.
In my image note the 4 shaded triangles. They appear to be congruent. What do you think? How many of them belong to the second quadrilateral? What's the ratio of areas?
Yes, I think also they are congruent and only 2 of them belong to the quadrilateral, but I don’t understand what is the ratio of areas.(is it possible to be 5:8)

Yes, I think also they are congruent and only 2 of them belong to the quadrilateral, but I don’t understand what is the ratio of areas.(is it possible to be 5:8)
First of all we need to figure out what's going on in your diagram. Which quadrilaterals are we talking about? I made my diagram based on your problem. But your diagram appears to contain another quadrilateral (in red). Please explain.

Regarding my diagram: the large quadrilateral is divided into 4 triangles. I picked one of them (shaded), but the same thing can be done with the other 3. We are asked about the ratio of the areas. So, in the shaded triangle there are 2 small triangles that belong to the 2nd quadrilateral. 4 belong to the first. What is the ratio of the areas?

Last edited:
First of all we need to figure out what's going on in your diagram. Which quadrilaterals are we talking about? I made my diagram based on your problem. But your diagram appears to contain another quadrilateral (in red). Please explain.

Regarding my diagram: the large quadrilateral is divided into 4 triangles. I picked one of them (shaded), but the same thing can be done with the other 3. We are asked about the ratio of the areas. So, in the shaded triangle there are 2 small triangles that belong to the 2nd quadrilateral. 4 belong to the first. What is the ratio of the areas?

My diagram is wrong, but yours is not. Thank You for showing me an accurate diagram of the problem.
I suppose the ratio is 2:4 or 1:2. But is this the ratio of the areas of the 2 quadrilaterals? How should I describe the solution?

My diagram is wrong, but yours is not. Thank You for showing me an accurate diagram of the problem.
I suppose the ratio is 2:4 or 1:2. But is this the ratio of the areas of the 2 quadrilaterals? How should I describe the solution?
Yes, the ratio is 1:2 in the shaded triangle. But the same reasoning applies to the other 3 triangles. So, if the ratio is 1:2 in each triangle, what's the overall ratio of the 2 areas?
For a formal solution you should justify each step in my approach. Or use a different approach.

Yes, the ratio is 1:2 in the shaded triangle. But the same reasoning applies to the other 3 triangles. So, if the ratio is 1:2 in each triangle, what's the overall ratio of the 2 areas?
For a formal solution you should justify each step in my approach. Or use a different approach.
If the ratio is 1:2 in each triangle, does this probably mean that the overall ratio of the 2 areas is 2:1 (the sum of the ratios of all triangles).?

If the ratio is 1:2 in each triangle, does this probably mean that the overall ratio of the 2 areas is 2:1 (the sum of the ratios of all triangles).?
How did 1:2 become 2:1?
It's true, but "the sum of the ratios of all triangles" doesn't make sense. You can't just add ratios. There is a way prove it algebraically.
Quadrilateral area = area of 4 shaded triangles + 4 other triangles + 4 diff triangles + 4 more triangles
Parallelogram area = area of 2 shaded triangles + 2 ...
Ratio of the Parallelogram area to Quadrilateral area = ... = 1/2
Can you fill in what I skipped?

I would prefer to fill in what is missing in what You wrote:
Quadrilateral area = area of 4 shaded triangles + 4 other triangles + 4 diff triangles + 4 more triangles
Parallelogram area = area of 2 shaded triangles + 2 unshaded triangles
Ratio of the Parallelogram area to Quadrilateral area = 2:4= 1/2

I would prefer to fill in what is missing in what You wrote:
Parallelogram area = area of 2 shaded triangles + 2 unshaded triangles
Ratio of the Parallelogram area to Quadrilateral area = 2:4= 1/2
Quadrilateral area = area of 4 shaded triangles + 4 other triangles + 4 diff triangles + 4 more triangles = 4 ( ... )
Parallelogram area = area of 2 shaded triangles + 2 other triangles + 2 diff triangles + 2 more triangles = 2 ( ... )

What's inside the parentheses?

Yes, I am familiar with it. I made a mistake. In the space we should write a+ b+ c+ d