Question 10 - 11th Grade Coordinate Geometry Question

Okay so with F coordinates(unknown) and H coordinates (5,-T) we can't exactly do anything. I know that the gradient of the perpendicular line is 2 but what do I do next?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 9
Okay so with F coordinates(unknown) and H coordinates (5,-T) we can't exactly do anything. I know that the gradient of the perpendicular line is 2 but what do I do next?
You haven't mentioned finding the coordinates of G. You also seem to be forgetting that with algebra, you can always give a name to something unknown, and do things with it!

Suppose the coordinates of F are (a, b). The fact that it is on the given line provides one equation in a and b; the fact that the line HF has slope 2 gives you another. Solve, and you can express a and b in terms of the parameter T.

I've tried almost all the substitution methods, and nothing worked. So if you could elaborate further it would be very helpful. As for mentioning the coordinates of G thing, it's mentioned in the picture. It doesn't explicitly say to find G but I'm pretty sure you need it to solve this question. Thank you for your time so far

I've tried almost all the substitution methods, and nothing worked. So if you could elaborate further it would be very helpful. As for mentioning the coordinates of G thing, it's mentioned in the picture. It doesn't explicitly say to find G but I'm pretty sure you need it to solve this question. Thank you for your time so far
Please show me your actual work, so I can see whether you have the wrong equations or the wrong method or a silly mistake.

If you do as I suggested, you will need G in order to find E, but not until then. And it's easy.

So there was a mistake in printing, T is supposed to be 7. So -T = -7. Thanks for your help and time.
That will help, if the idea of the answer being a function of T was your main problem! I'd actually wondered at first if that was a 7, though it was clearly printed as T.