Quick Q: In how many years will $100 amount to $200 at 4% co

Kanimoto

I'm not sure where I should put this...

I don't need help with solving this problem; I just have a question about one part. (note: n is an exponent)

A=p(1+r)n is the compound-interest formula. In this formula, A = the amount, p = the principal, r = the rate of interest per period, and n = the number of periods.
In how many years will $100 amount to $200 at 4% compounded semianually? (A = 200, p = 100, and r = .02. Remember that n is the number of half years.)

My question is about r. Why does r = 4% and also 2%?! When it says 2% does that mean that it's the rate of interest per half year as opposed to 4%, which is for the whole year?

Thanks.

Re: Quick q

Kanimoto said:
I'm not sure where I should put this...

I don't need help with solving this problem; I just have a question about one part. (note: n is an exponent)

A=p(1+r)n is the compound-interest formula. In this formula, A = the amount, p = the principal, r = the rate of interest per period, and n = the number of periods.
In how many years will $100 amount to $200 at 4% compounded semianually? (A = 200, p = 100, and r = .02. Remember that n is the number of half years.)

My question is about r. Why does r = 4% and also 2%?! When it says 2% does that mean that it's the rate of interest per half year as opposed to 4%, which is for the whole year?

Thanks
You are right.
4% is the annual rate. 2% is the semi-annual rate, the compoundig period.