Radians question

maths12345

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 15.04.14.png
im sure the answer's quite obvious but my brain's a bit dead right now :/ for question 10a, why wouldn't you be able to use pythagoras to find line AB since triangle ABC is an equailateral and u can split BC in half?

Yes, you could use the Pythagorean theorem. Or you could use the known relationship between the sides of a 30-60-90 triangle, or you could use the definition of the cosine of an angle, or even the Law of Cosines. :)

Yes, that's a perfectly good method. If we let s be the length of AB then, since this is an equilateral triangle, BC also has length s and the length of the segment from B to the foot of the orthogonal is s/2. By the Pythagorean theorem, s^2= (s/2)^2+ 9. Solve that for s.

For (b) use the fact that all angles in an equilateral triangle are \(\displaystyle \pi/3\) radians. 1/6 of the \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) of an entire circle so the area of the badge is 1/6 of the area of the area of a circle with radius 3 cm.

(c) is simply wrong! The outer, circular, edge is 1/6 of the circumference of the circle of radius 3 cm. That is \(\displaystyle (1/6)(2\pi (3))= (1/6)(6\pi)= \pi\) cm. The two straight sides, AB and AC, each have
For length 3 cm so the perimeter of the badge is \(\displaystyle \pi+ 6\) cm.

I have no idea where that "\(\displaystyle \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{3}\) is from!

Last edited:
edge is 1/6 of the circumference of the circle of radius 3 cm.
Prof. Halls. I think that you misread the diagram. The radius is \(2\sqrt{3~}\), which is length of the sides of the triangle.