Radicals

G

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I really need help badly.

If you post a question someone will probably help you answer it.

(3 ^(1/3) . 5 ^(-1/-2)) ^ 6

= (3 ^(6/3) . 5^ (6/2))

= 3^2 . 5 ^ 3

=

= .....
your turn

It looks like maybe the expression is:

. . . . .[3<sup>1/3</sup> 5<sup>-1/-2</sup>] <sup>6</sup>

It should be noted that, if the second exponent is correct, it can be quickly simplified to "1/2", since the "minus" signs cancel off.

Please reply with correction or confirmation. Thank you.

Eliz.

Then multiply the exponents (according to the usual rule: (x<sup>m</sup>)<sup>n</sup> = x<sup>mn</sup>), and then multiply the numbers out.

Eliz.

I've tries it, but I come up with completely different answers. The correct textbook answer is 9/125.

Please show your steps, and we'll be glad to try to find your error.

Thank you.

Eliz.

P.S. The book's answer is correct.

not sure how the answer of 9/125 can be correct unless the original equation had one to many negative signs in it.

.[3^(1/3) . 5^(-1/-2)] ^6

maybe should have been

.[3^(1/3) . 5^(-1/2)] ^6

apm said:
not sure how the answer of 9/125 can be correct unless the original equation had one to many negative signs in it.
Oh, yeah; you're right: I forgot that the one exponent had a negative in the denominator as well.

Thanks for catching that! :wink:

Eliz.

So when multiplied, the 3 has an exponent of 2, and the 5 has the exponent of 3, giving the answer of 1125?

Catayane said:
So when multiplied, the 3 has an exponent of 2, and the 5 has the exponent of 3, giving the answer of 1125?

Yes; but if the real answer is 9/125, then you gave us a wrong power:
5^(-1/-2) should be 5^(-1/2);
then you have 3^2 * 5^(-3) = 3^2 / 5^3 = 9 / 125.

Remember that x^(-p) = 1 / x^p

Gah! I'm sorry for that last post! I was adding the numbers incorrectly. Thank you so much to the people who helped me.