Raffle Ticket Sales

MJ34

I am being dense here I think. I have a raffle going. It is 1 ticket for $1.00 or 6 tickets for $5.00. If I have 48 tickets how much money should I have if they were sold by 6 tickets? If I have 50 tickets how much money should I have? Can you give me the answer and equation please? I also have one going for 1 for $5.00 and 6 for $20.00 let's say I have 132 tickets now.

It may be helpful to just work it through one step at a time and think about how you can use the given information to deduce what you need to know. Suppose you bought 6 tickets. How much would that cost? Well, obviously, it's $5 - the problem tells us as much. That's not very interesting, but we'll note it down anyway in case it's helpful later. But suppose you bought 12 tickets. That's the same as 6 + 6 tickets, so they'd cost $5 + $5 = $10 total. Next, suppose you bought 18 tickets. That's the same as 12 + 6 = (6 + 6) + 6 tickets, so they'd cost ($5 + $5) + $5 = $15 total. Are you seeing a pattern here? Can you think of an operation that models repeated addition?

Now that you know how much to calculate how much money any arbitrary number of groups of 6 tickets costs, you need to figure out how many groups of 6 you can make with 48 tickets. Can you think of an operation to help with this? Similarly, how many groups of 6 can you make with 132 tickets? Which operation do you think you'd use here? The same one as before, or maybe something different? Finally, 50 isn't an exact multiple of 6... but after you take away as many groups of 6 as you can, how many single tickets are left over? How does that help you determine how much 50 tickets cost?