Ranking Guessing Game: How Much Would You Pay to Predict the First Sample's Position?

jkhexvl

You will independently sample 10 times uniformly at random from the interval [0, 1]. For example, 0.767, 1/π , and 0.25 are all possible values you could find. At the end of this procedure, we will order the samples from least to greatest. Before sampling any numbers, I offer you the following proposition – I’ll pay you $100 if, after seeing only the first sample (call it x), you can guess what position x will eventually fall in the rankings. For example, if you guess that x will be 3rd smallest, and after seeing the rest of the numbers, this turns out to be true, then I’ll pay you $100. If I charge you to participate in this game, what is the maximum amount of money you would be willing to pay in exact dollars and cents?

You will independently sample 10 times uniformly at random from the interval [0, 1]. For example, 0.767, 1/π , and 0.25 are all possible values you could find. At the end of this procedure, we will order the samples from least to greatest. Before sampling any numbers, I offer you the following proposition – I’ll pay you $100 if, after seeing only the first sample (call it x), you can guess what position x will eventually fall in the rankings. For example, if you guess that x will be 3rd smallest, and after seeing the rest of the numbers, this turns out to be true, then I’ll pay you $100. If I charge you to participate in this game, what is the maximum amount of money you would be willing to pay in exact dollars and cents?
To answer such question I would first figure out an algorithm for making such guess. What are you thoughts?

Rank probabilities. A general question: given a random pick [imath]a[/imath] out of a sample of [imath]n[/imath] random numbers from the [0,1] interval what is the probability of its rank being [imath]m[/imath], where [imath]1\leq m \leq n[/imath]. For that we would have to have [imath]m-1[/imath] numbers below [imath]a[/imath] and [imath]n-m[/imath] numbers above it, and the corresponding probability is
[math]P_{m,n}(a) = {n-m\choose n-1} a^{m-1} (1-a)^{n-m} = {m-1\choose n-1} a^{m-1} (1-a)^{n-m}[/math]What is the best guess for [imath]m[/imath], i.e., which [imath]m[/imath] gets maximum for [imath]P_{m,n}[/imath]? As show elsewhere the maximum is achieved for [math]m= \lfloor na\rfloor[/math]Probability of correct guess. The average -- over all [imath]a[/imath]'s such that [imath]0\leq a \geq 1[/imath] -- value of [imath]P_{m,n}(a) = P_{\left\lfloor\frac{a}{10}\right\rfloor,10}(a)[/imath] is about 0.36602. Actual probabilities for different [imath]a[/imath]'s are plotted below:guess-prob.png