Rates of change exam question

Sophie02

Hi,

I was wondering how to do this question? Everything I seem to try, the result never seems to be the same as the equation that you need to prove? And then for part b, I don’t know what bits of data I would be using to go where?

thankyou

Attachments

lex

Do you want to post an example of what you are doing for (a) and we can see what is happening? It may simply be a matter of getting your work to 'look like' their answer.

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
In order to get that equation, the balloon is a sphere and the volume of a sphere of radius r is \(\displaystyle V= (4/3)\pi r^3\). Then \(\displaystyle dV/dr= 4\pi r^2\) and \(\displaystyle dV/dt= 4\pi r^2 dr/dt\). If that is a constant, C, the \(\displaystyle 4\pi r^2 dr/dt= C\) so that \(\displaystyle dr/dt=C/4\pi r^2= k/r^2\) with \(\displaystyle k= C/4\pi\) a constant.

lex

...so that \(\displaystyle dr/dt=C/4\pi r^2= k/r^2\) with \(\displaystyle k= C/4\pi\) a constant.
\(\displaystyle C\) is negative, but \(\displaystyle k\) is positive. So \(\displaystyle k= \boldsymbol{-C}/4\pi \hspace3ex\)( and \(\displaystyle \tfrac{dr}{dt}=-\tfrac{k}{r^2}\))

Last edited:

Sophie02

In order to get that equation, the balloon is a sphere and the volume of a sphere of radius r is \(\displaystyle V= (4/3)\pi r^3\). Then \(\displaystyle dV/dr= 4\pi r^2\) and \(\displaystyle dV/dt= 4\pi r^2 dr/dt\). If that is a constant, C, the \(\displaystyle 4\pi r^2 dr/dt= C\) so that \(\displaystyle dr/dt=C/4\pi r^2= k/r^2\) with \(\displaystyle k= C/4\pi\) a constant.
Ohh that makes more sense now because i was getting 4pi and I didn’t know how to get rid of it. But it’s just because it’s a constant included within k

Sophie02

How would you go about doing part b?

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
How would you go about doing part b?
What have YOU tried for this EXAM problem?

Are you allowed to ask for external assistance?

lex

Ohh that makes more sense now because i was getting 4pi and I didn’t know how to get rid of it. But it’s just because it’s a constant included within k
Do you want to post an example of what you are doing for (a) and we can see what is happening? It may simply be a matter of getting your work to 'look like' their answer.
That's what I suspected and why I offered to look at your work if you posted it.

Sophie02

What have YOU tried for this EXAM problem?

Are you allowed to ask for external assistance?
Yes I’m allowed external help. I’m just doing practise papers for revision!

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I’m allowed external help. I’m just doing practise papers for revision!
OK

So where is your work/thoughts regarding this problem?

Sophie02

but as you can see I don’t have an equation so I’ve definitely don it wrong

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
but as you can see I don’t have an equation so I’ve definitely don it wrong
V= (4/3)*π*r^3 → dV/dr = 4 * π * r^2

so the DE is:

(-80*π) = 4 * π * r^2 * dr/dt

There is your equation (DE) ...... continue......

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
is this correct?
Should the 'r' (radius) increase or decrease as 't' (time) increases?

Do you get r = 20 at t = 5 from the equation you have derived?

and

Do you get r = 40 at t = 0 from the equation you have derived?