Ratio of two sides of a rectangle length and width unknown

dwill

A rectangle of area 32 has perimeter 24. Assuming the sides are intergers, what is the ratio of the sides of the rectangle?

I have no clue how to set up this problem with length and width unknown
I have A= lw=32
P=2l + 2w =24

Suppose the sides are the integers m & n.
Solve this system from the given:
\(\displaystyle \L
\begin{array}{l}
2m + 2n = 24\quad \Rightarrow \quad m + n = 12 \\
mn = 32 \\
\end{array}\)

pka said:
Suppose the sides are the integers m & n.
Solve this system from the given:
\(\displaystyle \L
\begin{array}{l}
2m + 2n = 24\quad \Rightarrow \quad m + n = 12 \\
mn = 32 \\
\end{array}\)
Thanks, but how do I find the value of the sides? The problem asks for the ratio of the sides.

That does not work. If you have two unknowns, how will you find the ratio?

If you say that m=32/n, then you have to substitute into the equation for area.

area = mn
32 = 32/n * n
32/n =32/n=1

It will cancel out

The answer is 2:1, also the numbers are integers...i'm confused :(

You need to have a sit-down, face-to-face, with you instructor.
You may have been assigned to the wrong course.
It seems to me that it is possible that you are being asked to do material that you are not prepared to do. Please seek academic guidance.

dwill said:
...The answer is 2:1, also the numbers are integers...i'm confused :(
You have another equation: m + n = 12. Plug the m = 32/n into that equation.

pka said:
You need to have a sit-down, face-to-face, with you instructor.
You may have been assigned to the wrong course.
It seems to me that it is possible that you are being asked to do material that you are not prepared to do. Please seek academic guidance.
i'm preparing for the GMAT, and I have not seen this material in awhile, I would appreciate it if you could simply show me the correct steps to solve this problem.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide the test-prep lessons you appear to desire. To review and learn the necessary material,. you might want to consider contracting with a test-prep service which offers classes on the GMAT.

Eliz.

stapel said:
Unfortunately, we cannot provide the test-prep lessons you appear to desire. To review and learn the necessary material,. you might want to consider contracting with a test-prep service which offers classes on the GMAT.

Eliz.

I am in a class, with a prof, I just wanted clarification but if you can not provide it that is ok, I have found the solution.

dwill said:
I just wanted clarification but if you can not provide it that is ok....
The tutors did provide "clarification": they gave you the set-up, the reasoning, the equations, and instructions for completing the exercise. You responded with confusion, requesting the fully-worked solution.

If what you've been given is not sufficient, then you need to have a serious talk with your instructor.

My best wishes to you.

Eliz.