Ratio Question

kittong

The value in your investment increased in the the ratio 4:3 last year. You started with $3300.00..how must is your investment worth now?

I'm not to sure what is missing there but the problem is given as it is..no further information provided..

I didn't say anything was missing. I asked you to show what you can do, as we ask in our submission guidelines.

They told you this: new value : old value = 4 : 3. Put in the known old value, and solve for the unknown new value. There are several ways you might have been taught to do this, so I want to see what method you try.

It's also possible that the problem could be interpreted differently, so I want to see how you understand its meaning, if you think what I wrote is wrong.

The proportion is new value : old value = 4 : 3 , as I said, which means x/3300 = 4/3. solve that. You appear to be solving 3300/x = 4/3.

Your addition suggests that you are interpreting the "increase" to be by adding 4/3 (like a percent increase), rather than the new value itself being 4/3 of the original. Can you offer evidence that it is to be taken that way (such as an example like this in your textbook)?

I think what you are saying is correct..I was actually assisting a friend who is taking business studies and wouldn't be able to send you an example..
x/3300=4/3
cross multifly
13200=3x
13200/3=3x/3
4400=x
is this correct?

Thank you very much and really appreciate your time/assistance.
thanks again