Ratio Question

bravealikhan

Hi all,

I will appreciate if someone kindly help me in the below Ratio question.

I have:

Total Books = 2177
Type of Books = 24
Total Students = 80

Some books types are more and some are less. i.e. Countdown book Qty 200, Mossy Qty 12, Strawberry Shortcake 450, Skippyjon jones Qty 300 etc.

I would like to divide all 2177 books among 80 students equally since books are uneven how could I divide all books equally?

Thanks & regards

Total Books = 2177
Type of Books = 24
Total Students = 80

Some books types are more and some are less.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what is meant by book types "being more or less". "More or less" of what?

I would like to divide all 2177 books among 80 students equally since books are uneven how could I divide all books equally?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what is meant by "dividing evenly", especially in a context in which "the [number of?] books are uneven".

It might help if you provided the full and exact text of the exercise, along with the complete instructions, so we can see what, exactly, is being asked. For instance, nothing in what you have stated explains why this exercise has included a value for "type". Thank you! ;)

I think you are saying that you have 24 types of books, that there are more of some types of book than others, but there are a total of 2177 books and you want to divide them, evenly, among 80 people.

Well, you can't! 80 divides into 2177 27 times remainder 17. The best you could do is give each person 27 books but you would then have 17 books left over. The "types" of books and number of each type of book is irrelevant.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what is meant by book types "being more or less". "More or less" of what?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what is meant by "dividing evenly", especially in a context in which "the [number of?] books are uneven".

It might help if you provided the full and exact text of the exercise, along with the complete instructions, so we can see what, exactly, is being asked. For instance, nothing in what you have stated explains why this exercise has included a value for "type". Thank you! ;)

Thanks for your reply,

Types means no similar nature, i.e. Math book, Physics book, Chemistry book, drawing book so there are 4 different types of books. and different quantity of each type. i.e. Math books Qty 450, Chemistry books Qty 150, Drawing books Qty 500.

hope this would help to understand my question.

I think you are saying that you have 24 types of books, that there are more of some types of book than others, but there are a total of 2177 books and you want to divide them, evenly, among 80 people.

Well, you can't! 80 divides into 2177 27 times remainder 17. The best you could do is give each person 27 books but you would then have 17 books left over. The "types" of books and number of each type of book is irrelevant.

Thanks for your reply, If I simply divide 2177/80, some books those are less in number may not be deliver to some students!

Not really, no. Like I said before:

It might help if you provided the full and exact text of the exercise, along with the complete instructions, so we can see what, exactly, is being asked. Thank you! ;)

Thanks for your reply,

Types means no similar nature, i.e. Math book, Physics book, Chemistry book, drawing book so there are 4 different types of books. and different quantity of each type. i.e. Math books Qty 450, Chemistry books Qty 150, Drawing books Qty 500.

From what I understand, you would need to breakdown the divisions by type.

450 Math books / 80 students = 5 books per student with 50 books left over. (80 * 5 = 400 ; 450 - 400 = 50)
150 Chemestry books / 80 students = 1 book per student with 70 books left over. (80 * 1 = 80 ; 150 - 80 = 70)
500 Drawing books / 80 students = 6 books per student with 20 books left over. (80 * 6 = 480 ; 500 - 480 = 20)
1077 Physics books (?) / 80 students = 13 books per student with 37 books left over. (80 * 13 = 1040 ; 1077 - 1040 = 37)

So you would take the total number of each book type, divide that by the number of students. Take the whole number of that answer and subtract it from the total books available for each type.

Example:
Math Books
450 / 80 = 5.625
5.625 - .625 = 5 (Total books per student)
5 * 80 = 400
450 - 400 = 50 (Left over books)

Do the above for each book type then add all of the Total Books per Student together to get how many total books were distributed.

If you don't mind destroying the books, you would simply take out step two and go with 5.625 books per student then add all of the books per student totals to get your total distribution.

If I understand your question correctly