Rational expressions: [(x+2)/(x-2)] / [(x^2-4)/(2-x)], etc.

belle<3

4ubnztu.jpg

525b0ja.jpg

4xmxv7n.jpg

Besides the distributive property math I don't know where else to go with any of these! Please help me understand. Thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated.

No instructions were included, so I will guess that you are supposed to "simplify". :idea:

It's unfortunate that rational expressions haven't been covered in your book or any of your current or past classes. Since your last class only took you as far as the Distributive Property (that is, pre-algebra), you might want to see about enrolling in a beginning algebra course, so that you can learn all the material necessary before trying to tackle rational expressions. :!:

At the very least, assuming you're okay with basic variable stuff and exponents, you need to learn about polynomials and how to multiply them, simple factoring, and how to factor quadratics and sums and differences of cubes. Once you've covered that material, and reviewed how to work with fractions, only then will you be ready for this topic. :shock:

Naturally, we cannot provide the month or two of instruction necessary to bring you to that point. Sorry! :oops:

Please have a serious talk with your academic advisor!

My best wishes to you in your studies! :D

Eliz.

Re: yes

belle<3 said:
I have to simplify.
Um... so... You read my reply, right...? :?:

Are you wanting links to lessons on all of those various topics, so you can try to do the self-study yourself? Because, seriously, you can't do this with just the pre-algebra background you've got. Honestly, you need the beginning-algebra course material before you can attempt this. Even in a speeded up context (like night classes, etc), you're looking at a good month of concentrated study. :shock:

If you're wanting to attempt that, I'll be glad to try to find some links for you. But please understand that we cannot help you with the actual studying. We can only help you after you've learned the underlying material. We simply cannot provide the hours of instruction necessary to provide you with material.

Please reply with clarification. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Re: Rational expressions: [(x+2)/(x-2)] / [(x^2-4)/(2-x)], e

belle<3 said:
Hints:

4ubnztu.jpg

(a/b) / (c/d) = (a/b) * (d/c)

525b0ja.jpg

(a/b) * (c/d) = (a * c) / (b * d)

4xmxv7n.jpg

(a/b) + (c/b) = (a + c) / b

yes

I have no choice it's my summer assignment so I would appreciate it if I were given some good websites. I can't fail. We'll have a test on this stuff too. The first day! What a cruel school! :cry:

Re: yes

belle<3 said:
I have no choice it's my summer assignment... We'll have a test on this stuff too. The first day!
Oh. So, since you've never seen any of this material before and only just got the packet, I would guess that your family moved and you had to switch into this school about a week ago...? :?:

You might want to have your parents conference with the school district about course placement. I know, from experience (my parents moved every year or two), that students are often placed in classes for which they aren't yet ready, for no better reason than "...but that's what we do here in this grade." :shock:

However, they've made a lot of progress since my siblings and I were routinely "thrown to the wolves", as it were; your new school should be able to provide you with some remediation (like private tutoring) so that you can get caught up. :wink:

belle<3 said:
I would appreciate it if I were given some good websites.
Okay, but, since you ended in pre-algebra in your last school, it's gonna be a long list! :shock:

First, you'll need to learn about variables and polynomials:

. . . . .Google results for "variables"

. . . . .Google results for "polynomials"

. . . . .Google results for "adding polynomials"

. . . . .Google results for "simplify parentheses"

. . . . .Google results for "simple polynomial factoring"

. . . . .Google results for "factoring quadratics"

. . . . .Google results for "special factoring formulas"

Fortunately, pre-algebra almost always includes a review of numerical fractions, so you're probably fine on the basic concepts. Now to move on to polynomial fractions, which are called "rational expressions":

. . . . .Google results for "rational expressions"

. . . . .Google results for "simplifying rational expressions"

. . . . .Google results for "multiply rational expressions"

. . . . .Google results for "adding rational expressions"

:!: Pick at least one or two lessons from each link, and give yourself plenty of time to absorb the material, making sure you work through each example in your chosen lessons. :!:

Covering the above material may, with diligent effort and a little luck, take no more than a week or two. Good luck! :D

Eliz.