Rational Functions distance and time

lutybell

Rational Functions and Time Passed During a Trip

You will be driving from Central Texas College in Killeen to a town in Texas and looking at the effect of driving the distance at different speeds.

Choose any city/town in Texas that is at least 50 miles from Central Texas College in Killeen, TX, by road. Go to Google Maps (https://maps.google.com) and find directions from CTC to the city/town of your choice. Take a screenshot of the directions like you did for Lab 1, which you will upload in Blackboard when you turn in the lab there. Note the distance of the trip in miles:

Distance One Way: _________________60______ miles

You drive from CTC in Killeen to your town of choice. After 3 hours, you receive a phone call and immediately return to CTC in Killeen. Calculate the total time for the trip for the different speeds (not necessarily realistic, legal, or even safe speeds). Remember the equation . We

can rearrange the equation to make and that you are going round-trip. What effect does spending 3 hours there have on the total time?

Write an equation for the total time of the trip as a function of the speed

Speed

0.5 mph

1 mph

2 mph

10 mph

20 mph

40 mph

80 mph

160 mph

Total Time (hours)

Graph your function in an appropriate window. What values of the context of this problem?

Domain: Range: Where is the function increasing, decreasing, constant? Increasing: Decreasing:

(speed) and (time) make sense in

_____ Constant:

As your speed gets faster, the total time approaches _____________________ because _________________________________________________________________________.

As your speed gets closer and closer to 0 mph, your total time approaches ______________________ because _________________________________________________________________________.

I was hoping that would follow the forum's guidelines by solving your problem on your own with assistance from forum helpers.

Can you please post the work you have done so far so we can offer you some help?

Im not to sure of the equation that Im supposed to be using. Would i be solving the problem like 120/0.5+3?

It says, "Remember the equation". Presumably that is something like distance = rate*time.

You appear to have correctly rearranged it as time = distance/rate, and put the right numbers in, so, yes, that is the expression that you are to use for the first column.

Then they ask you to write an equation for time as a function of speed (so that you will be using a variable in place of your 0.5). Go ahead and do that.

… Choose any city/town in Texas that is at least 50 miles from Central Texas College in Killeen, TX, by road … Go to Google Maps … and find directions from CTC to the city/town of your choice. Take a screenshot of the directions … Note the distance of the trip in miles …
Hi lutybell. Have you done those things, yet? What location did you choose?

?

Im not to sure of the equation that Im supposed to be using. Would i be solving the problem like 120/0.5+3?
You divide 120 by .5 and then add 3.

Think of $120/$0.5 = $120/$0.50. How 50 cents are there in $120?

Hi lutybell. Have you done those things, yet? What location did you choose?

?
It appears that lutybell chose a place 60 miles away (I almost missed the fact that the blank had been filled in, and thought no work at all had been done) ...

You divide 120 by .5 and then add 3.

Think of $120/$0.5 = $120/$0.50. How 50 cents are there in $120?
... and probably understands how to evaluate 120/0.5 + 3. The important thing is that that is the right expression to calculate for the first column.

Now we need to see the rest of the problem done, if additional help is needed.

Dr Peterson does not miss anything, ever. After all he is Dr Math!

Oh, I miss things all the time ...

(Have you ever noticed me saying something early in a thread, and then going away? Often that's because I got it wrong.