Rational Inequality Problem: (x + 1)/(x - 2) >= 3

scubbasteevo

Says to 'solve'. But with the inequality, x can't equal 0 and it's throwing me off on how to solve. I got a problem like this wrong on my last exam and they are giving us another chance. The problem is:

x + 1
x - 2 is greater than or equal to 3

TY for helping.
Steve

scubbasteevo said:
Says to 'solve'. But with the inequality, x can't equal 0 and it's throwing me off on how to solve.
From the above, it sounds like you missed the class sessions on how to solve rational inequalities, so you don't know how to approach this. Unfortunately, we cannot replace those missing hours of instruction, so please study some online lessons instead:

. . . . .Google results for "solving rational inequalities"

Once you have studied at least two lessons from the link, please attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, or if you are unsure of your steps or solution, you will then be able to reply with a clear listing of your work and reasoning so far, and we'll be able to "see" where you're having trouble.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Says to 'solve'. But with the inequality, x can't equal 0 and it's throwing me off on how to solve. I got a problem like this wrong on my last exam and they are giving us another chance. The problem is:

x + 1

Please follow Stapel’s advice and review the info on the provided link.

One hint: There is no rule that says x cannot be zero. The rule is simply that no DENOMINATOR can be zero. This means that x cannot have a value that would cause the denominator to equal zero.

scubbasteevo said:

x + 1

TY for helping.
Steve

With your graphing calculator plot following two curves on the same screen:

\(\displaystyle y\, = \, \frac{x\, + \, 1}{x\, - \, 2}\)

and

\(\displaystyle y \, = \, 3\)

Observe what do those intersect and investigate what happens beyond that.