Rational Numbers and Equations

dlzimmie

My daughter is in an accelerated math class and is so frustrated. I have no clue how to solve this but would like to know the process in solving this: -2/3x+3/7=1/2. My husband thinks it's algebra the book says it Rational Numbers and Equations. Please help.

My daughter is in an accelerated math class and is so frustrated. I have no clue how to solve this but would like to know the process in solving this: -2/3x+3/7=1/2. My husband thinks it's algebra the book says it Rational Numbers and Equations. Please help.

It would be better if your daughter gave it a try and you asked any specific questions she has once she's tried it.

But this is what you do to solve this particular problem.

The key is in isolating the x on one side of the = sign by either adding the same thing to both sides or by multiplying both sides by the same number. You can do either of these without changing the fact that both sides are equal.

so

-2/3x +3/7 = 1/2

First get rid of the 3/7 term on the left hand side by adding -3/7 to both sides

-2/3x +3/7 -3/7 = 1/2 - 3/7

-2/3x = 1/2 - 3/7

Now you have to combine those two fractions on the right hand side. Your daughter should know how to do this.

-2/3x = 7/14 - 6/14 = 1/14

Now you want to get only x on the left hand side. You do this by multiplying both sides by the reciprocal of -2/3 which is -3/2

-2/3x * -3/2 = 1/14 * -3/2

x = -3/28

which gives the desired answer.

It is algebra involving rational numbers. Kids seem to have a lot of trouble with fractions in algebra. My recommendation is to get rid of them as soon as possible.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{-2}{3}x + \dfrac{3}{7} = \dfrac{1}{2}\). I think this what you mean.

The least common denominator of those fractions is 42. Multiply both sides of the equation by 42 = 2 * 3 * 7.

\(\displaystyle 42 * \left(\dfrac{-2}{3}x + \dfrac{3}{7}\right) = 42 * \dfrac{1}{2} \implies\)

\(\displaystyle -2 * 14x + 3 * 6 = 21\implies\)

\(\displaystyle -28x + 18 = 21.\) Now your daughter should be good to go.