Rationalize the denominator (√2+√5)/(√3-√7).

kacymindy

I got this as the answer, - (√2+√5)(√3+√7)/(4).

Is this correct or do I have to multiply it using the foil method and get this? -(√6+√14+√15+√35))/(4).

So is either answer okay and can I stick with my first answer?

Is this correct or do I have to multiply it using the foil method and get this? -(√6+√14+√15+√35))/(4).

In my opinion you finished the problem (did what you were asked to do) in the second line and you are good!!

Both your results are correct and identical in meaning. There are many ways to show the answer. For example,

[MATH]-\ \dfrac{\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{5}}{2} * \dfrac{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{7}}{2}.[/MATH]
So you are really asking a question about what is conventional in presentation. The seemingly childish answer to that question is that you should do whatever your teacher requires, no matter how absurd: there is nothing to be gained by arguing with stupid authority over the immaterial. In general, however, I agree with jomo: most would prefer showing the factored form in your second line.

JeffM said:
There are many ways to show the answer. For example,

− √2+√52∗√3+√72.− 2+52∗3+72.

This would not be an acceptable way to show the answer, because the instructions are to "rationalize the (singular)
denominator."

Much ado about nothing....

Tempest in a Kuereg coffee maker....