Reciprocal of fraction with negative exponent, Please explain what is wrong with my answer

Volume1337

My question word to word "Evaluate the Reciprocal of the following situation and show all steps. (Do not leave answer as a fraction)".

(-5/0)-3

my answer = 0
actual answer = undefined

this may be simple but it's so confusing for me.
I'm attaching my process and solution by teacher as well.
I want someone to explain what exactly did I do wrong, I have a test in few hours and teacher is not available right now to explain.

link to work -> https://ibb.co/C5wMv4b

Attachments

• math question.jpg
    math question.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 8
I think you got hung up on the wording of the problem. "Evaluate the reciprocal". A reciprocal is the same a power of -1.
[(-5/0)^-3]^-1 --> (-5/0)^3 --> undefined

I think you got hung up on the wording of the problem. "Evaluate the reciprocal". A reciprocal is the same a power of -1.
[(-5/0)^-3]^-1 --> (-5/0)^3 --> undefined
oh so it was a trick question kind of

My question word to word "Evaluate the Reciprocal of the following situation and show all steps. (Do not leave answer as a fraction)".

(-5/0)-3

my answer = 0
actual answer = undefined

this may be simple but it's so confusing for me.
I'm attaching my process and solution by teacher as well.
I want someone to explain what exactly did I do wrong, I have a test in few hours and teacher is not available right now to explain.

link to work -> https://ibb.co/C5wMv4b
You effectively took the reciprocal twice, by both flipping the inside and changing the sign of the exponent.

What R.M. did is what I would have done; your teacher took the reciprocal of the inside and then simplified.

You can not take the reciprocal of an undefined number. For the record (-5/0) is undefined making (-5/0)-3 undefined and finally making the reciprocal of an undefined number undefined.

Out of curiosity what do does arrow mean??

You can not take the reciprocal of an undefined number. For the record (-5/0) is undefined making (-5/0)-3 undefined and finally making the reciprocal of an undefined number undefined.

Out of curiosity what do does arrow mean??
the arrow between the first two, that's something I just do out of habit, teacher said you must never ever write = when taking reciprocal and I just have a bad habit of writing = when expanding or solving equations. so I do small arrow just to make myself not write = accidently

the arrow between the first two, that's something I just do out of habit, teacher said you must never ever write = when taking reciprocal and I just have a bad habit of writing = when expanding or solving equations. so I do small arrow just to make myself not write = accidently
The message you got from your teacher is wrong (the teacher said it correctly!)

For example, The reciprocal of 2/3 is 3/2. So you should not write 2/3=3/2. However, since the reciprocal of 2/3 can be written as (2/3)-1 you most definitely can write (2/3)-1=3/2.

Now, if it wasn't for the fact that -5/0 is undefined you can write [(-5/0)^-3]^-1 = (-5/0)^3