Reduction formula question

Jun555vo

Can anyone help with this question I’ve been stuck on it for ages! Thanks :)

Attachments

• 9F380B8F-2FD2-4776-B083-3EF8DB03A2B3.jpeg
    9F380B8F-2FD2-4776-B083-3EF8DB03A2B3.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 11
Where are you stuck? What have you come up with so far? We can't help you well unless we know! :)

See the forum guidelines here.

Hi I’m struggling to get started on this question. I know how to do part ii) but I’m really not sure on part i). Any help would be much appreciated :)A02E3FD3-4FC2-44ED-8E6B-E53AC6FD19DE.jpeg

What topics have you learned recently that you might use?

I tend to expect something like this to use integration by parts (though it isn't immediately obvious how to use it here). Can you make a start and show your work? Even work that is definitely wrong can be useful in helping you.

It's a little messy but can you write out [math]\dfrac{1}{ x^{2p} (x^2 - 1) }[/math] and [math]\dfrac{1}{ x^{2p + 1} (x^2 - 1) }[/math] in terms of partial fractions? The problem becomes relatively easy, so long as you take the time to get the algebra straight.

-Dan

Hi,
Did you really think that we could have helped you without know the integral?

What topics have you learned recently that you might use?

I tend to expect something like this to use integration by parts (though it isn't immediately obvious how to use it here). Can you make a start and show your work? Even work that is definitely wrong can be useful in helping you.
Ok I’ll give integration by parts a try thanks

It's a little messy but can you write out [math]\dfrac{1}{ x^{2p} (x^2 - 1) }[/math] and [math]\dfrac{1}{ x^{2p + 1} (x^2 - 1) }[/math] in terms of partial fractions? The problem becomes relatively easy, so long as you take the time to get the algebra straight.

-Dan
Yeah I tried that but the algebra got kinda messy so I gave up but I’ll try it again. Also shouldn’t the power be x^(2p+2) rather than x^(2p+1)? I just want to make sure that I’ll be doing it right

Hi I’m struggling to get started on this question. I know how to do part ii) but I’m really not sure on part i). Any help would be much appreciated :)View attachment 19102
Can you compute the integral for I0? Just solve the integral with p=0. Then try to compute the integral for I1. See if you can find a and bp. If you can't then do you do to compute I3.