Regression Plane / Plane Fitting

markraz

Hi, I have several hundred points in a matrix that are almost planar. Is it true that I can find the best fit plane using the following ??

x = ((A^t * A) ^-1) * A^t * b

where A is my matrix in form of:
[ [x y 1.0]
[x y 1.0]
[x y 1.0]
[x y 1.0]
[x y 1.0]
[more xy values.......]]

b are my z values

b =
[ [z]
[z]
[z]
[z]
[z]
[ more z values]]

^t = is matrix transform
^-1 = is matrix inverse
* = is multiplication

Thanks

I gave you a reference. I haven't looked at that stuff in ages so that's all the help I can give you. You should be able to check for yourself whether your method is the same.

I gave you a reference. I haven't looked at that stuff in ages so that's all the help I can give you. You should be able to check for yourself whether your method is the same.
^^^condescending ^^ watch your tone or I will report you for abuse. If I knew how to solve this problem would I be asking for help??? seriously??
I know how to use google though

Last edited:
^^^condescending ^^ watch your tone or I will report you for abuse. If I knew how to solve this problem would I be asking for help??? seriously??
I know how to use google though
I certainly don't think so. In response #4, the author simply states that s/he does not have neither the time nor the "current knowledge" and/or interest to follow through and analyze different methods.

I certainly don't think so. In response #4, the author simply states that s/he does not have neither the time nor the "current knowledge" and/or interest to follow through and analyze different methods.
Thanks for that Subhotosh. I was about to reply in a way that might have actually deserved a reprimand before I saw your post...