Regular and irregular volumes

Kevinklb

Any help appreciated , don’t know where to start with this one? Only equation I’ve managed to find is if we know the apothem then a = a^*n*tan 180/n .

I assume I have to find area of one then times by 7 or do I have to use the simpsons rule or trapezoidal rule?

Attachments

• 40AAC417-109F-4697-B777-A94E314E7B4C.jpeg
    40AAC417-109F-4697-B777-A94E314E7B4C.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
1645723689263.png
Was this problem assigned in a calculus class or geometry class?

This is a idealized geometry problem , numerical integration is not needed. But it can be "done" with those methods also.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any help appreciated , don’t know where to start with this one? Only equation I’ve managed to find is if we know the apothem then a = a^*n*tan 180/n .

I assume I have to find area of one then times by 7 or do I have to use the simpsons rule or trapezoidal rule?

1645723607009.png

This part of the problem appears to be about regular hexagonal prisms and nothing more, though I don't know exactly what they mean by "overall width". (And the wording "... 7 No ..." is odd to me, but that's probably because the context is not pure geometry but construction.)

Just use the formulas you've learned, as you suggest -- and show us your work so we can make sure it makes sense.

This appears to be a fairly simple Geometry problem (involving regular octagonal prisms).
Have you drawn a diagram of the cross-sectional area of one of the columns?
Include in your drawing (with dimension provided shown) the "Internal radius" (draw all three?) and an Apothem. How to proceed should then be clear.
(What do you know about the triangles comprising a regular octagon?)