regular octagon

shahar

There is a regular octagon that his side is 6 unit.
1622210980808.png
What are the size of the area of the grey area in the octagon?
I know for example that the size HG is 6. but what the area of the grey rectangle that is grey and his side is HG? How I can know the size of the two other sides (that are not the one side that parallel HG that equal to 6) in that rectangle? How I proof the proof that show that sides what they are?

View attachment 27512
I know for example that the size HG is 6. but what the area of the grey rectangle that is grey and his side is HG? How I can know the size of the two other sides (that are not the one side that parallel HG that equal to 6) in that rectangle? How I proof the proof that show that sides what they are?
What do we know about the legs of those triangles?

It is regular, then all sides are equal. For example, [MATH]AB = DE = 6[/MATH].

The angles insides the triangle are both [MATH]45^o[/MATH].

The length [MATH]HC = BE = 6(1 + \sqrt{2})[/MATH], (you can prove it with a little mathematics)

[MATH]\frac{HC - 6}{2}[/MATH] gives you the other sides of triangles. After that you will have all the lengths, and you can find the required area easily.

Last edited:
View attachment 27512
Since we are dealing with regular octagon (all sides are equal ). So:

HG = GF = FE = ED = DC = CB = BA = AH = HG = 6

What are the measures of the internal angles → mFGH = mGHA = m HAB = mABC = mBCD = mCDE = mDEF = mEFG = ?

I find it:
Every angle is 145 hence the angle in triangle is 45 by looking on the trapezoid. And from Pythagorean theorem 36 = a sqaure + b square = 2(a square)
a = sqrt(18) - sqrt(2) ............?? ..............................INCORRECT
a*a/2 + a*6 + a*a/2
Double it gives:
A square + a square + 12a = 2(18 -2sqrt(18)sqrt(2) + 4) + 12(6 - sqrt(2)). From here what to do....

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it:
Every angle is 145 hence the angle in triangle is 45 by looking on the trapezoid. And from Pythagorean theorem 36 = a sqaure + b square = 2(a square)
a = sqrt(18) - sqrt(2)..........?? ..............................INCORRECT
a*a/2 + a*6 + a*a/2
Double it gives:
A square + a square + 12a = 2(18 -2sqrt(18)sqrt(2) + 4) + 12(6 - sqrt(2)). From here what to do....
36 = a sqaure + b square = 2(a square)

36 = 2 * a2

a2 = 18

a = √18 = 3√2