Related Rates

erix335

Hi all, I'm working on some test corrections and can't seem to create an equation for this problem, or really even figure out where to start minus a diagram:

A man 6 feet tall walks away from a streetlight that is 18 feet tall. If the length of his shadow is changing at a rate of 3 feet per second when he is 25 feet away from the base of the light, how fast is he walking away from the light at this moment?

You have similar triangles. The heights are constant. The lengths are related. Let's see your efforts.

2s(ds/dt)= (25-3t)^2 + ?(18-6t)2
2(30.8 hyp of triangle) = 2(25-3t)3+2*18-6t)6
61.4=(50-6t)3+(36-12t)6
=366-90t
-304.6/-90=t
t=304.6/90 or 3.38....which seems to be a right answer but the second part of my equation had no real thought behind it.

Hello, erix335!

I have no idea where your equation came from . . .

A man 6 feet tall walks away from a streetlight that is 18 feet tall.
If the length of his shadow is changing at a rate of 3 ft/sec when he is 25 feet away from the base of the light,
how fast is he walking away from the light at this moment?
Code:
      A
      |   *   C
   18 |       |   * 
      |      6|       *
      B   x   D       s       E

\(\displaystyle AB\text{ is the streetlight: }AB = 18.\)
\(\displaystyle CD\text{ is the man: }CD = 6.\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Let }x = BD\text{, his distance from the streetlight.}\)
\(\displaystyle \text{Let }s = DE\text{, the length of his shadow.}\)
\(\displaystyle \text{We are given: }\,\frac{ds}{dt} = 3\text{ ft/sec}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Since }\Delta ABE \sim \Dalta CDE: \;\frac{x+s}{18} \,=\,\frac{s}{6}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Then: }\:6x+6s \:=\:18s \quad\Rightarrow\quad 6x\:=\:12s \quad\Rightarrow\quad x \:=\:2s\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Differentiate with respect to time: }\:\frac{dx}{dt} \:=\:2\frac{ds}{dt}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Therefore: }\:\frac{dx}{dt} \:=\:2(3) \:=\:6\text{ ft/sec}\)