Require help on simple maths question

Bex55

Hi! I am middle-aged and my maths lessons are a very distant memory! I have this calculation that I am not able to answer. I would very much appreciate help in this matter. Thank you in advance.
If 93 = 81 what does 85 equal?

Hi! I am middle-aged and my maths lessons are a very distant memory! I have this calculation that I am not able to answer. I would very much appreciate help in this matter. Thank you in advance.
Your problem - as posted - cannot be answered.

Do you have further context to the problem? Where did this problem come from? What other problems/topics that were being discussed along with this problem?

I would call this a puzzle or riddle, in which you need to guess an explanation for the "fact" shown. There is insufficient information given to conclude what is intended with anything close to certainty.

I see two immediate possibilities, because 81 is 9 squared ([MATH]9^2[/MATH]), which is [MATH]9^{3-1}[/MATH]; so the "rule" might be that "[MATH]ab = a^{b-1}[/MATH]"; or it could just as well be that "[MATH]ab = a\cdot b^2[/MATH]", so that "[MATH]93 = 9\cdot 3^2 = 9\cdot 9 = 81[/MATH]". These would give different results for "85".

I would call this a puzzle or riddle, in which you need to guess an explanation for the "fact" shown. There is insufficient information given to conclude what is intended with anything close to certainty.

I see two immediate possibilities, because 81 is 9 squared ([MATH]9^2[/MATH]), which is [MATH]9^{3-1}[/MATH]; so the "rule" might be that "[MATH]ab = a^{b-1}[/MATH]"; or it could just as well be that "[MATH]ab = a\cdot b^2[/MATH]", so that "[MATH]93 = 9\cdot 3^2 = 9\cdot 9 = 81[/MATH]". These would give different results for "85".
? Thank you Dr. Peterson

Seriously, if 93 = 81, then 85 can be whatever you want.

`it's relative, surely? 85 = 75, if 93= 81? Or am I horribly wrong?
Nothing here is sure! One possibility is that they are just subtracting the same number (12) from any input, so 85 would be 73; or it could be proportional, which gives an ugly result; or it could be either of the ideas I suggested. Or anything else! There are infinitely many functions ("rules") that could turn 93 into 81.

Nothing here is sure! One possibility is that they are just subtracting the same number (12) from any input, so 85 would be 73; or it could be proportional, which gives an ugly result; or it could be either of the ideas I suggested. Or anything else! There are infinitely many functions ("rules") that could turn 93 into 81.
I think it is meant to be proportional? No worries.

You've told us nothing about the context of the riddle (it can't be called a math problem), on the basis of which I can assume anything about its intent.

But if you suppose it is a proportion, what answer do you get?

It is a basic rule of logic that if "P" is false then "if P then Q" if a true statement no matter what "Q" is! That is why Jomo can say "Seriously, if 93 = 81, then 85 can be whatever you want."

It is a basic rule of logic that if "P" is false then "if P then Q" if a true statement no matter what "Q" is! That is why Jomo can say "Seriously, if 93 = 81, then 85 can be whatever you want."
Is that a necessary truth, or a convenient axiom? Serious question, not argumentative in spirit.

It is, as I said, a basic rule of logic. Personally I have always thought of it as "innocent until proven guilty"! Saying "if P then Q" tells us only what happens if P is true and nothing about what happens if P is false.

It is, as I said, a basic rule of logic. Personally I have always thought of it as "innocent until proven guilty"! Saying "if P then Q" tells us only what happens if P is true and nothing about what happens if P is false.
I like Dr Peterson's answer that it is the more convenient axiom. We could always give a Scotch verdict of "not proven," but it does seem preferable to have a strict dichotomy. Anyway, thanks to both you and Fr.Peterson.

I like Dr Peterson's answer that it is the more convenient axiom. We could always give a Scotch verdict of "not proven," but it does seem preferable to have a strict dichotomy. Anyway, thanks to both you and Fr.Peterson.
I'd never heard of a "Scotch verdict", but it's in my dictionary. (I was expecting it to be a slur against the Scots, which includes a small part of me, so I was ready to take offense. Luckily I like to look things up first.)

I would have called it "three-valued logic".

I'd never heard of a "Scotch verdict", but it's in my dictionary. (I was expecting it to be a slur against the Scots, which includes a small part of me, so I was ready to take offense. Luckily I like to look things up first.)

I would have called it "three-valued logic".
Yes and no are easy to work with; maybe so, maybe not is a lot less helpful. Of course, it is the only answer available many times; life is far less clear cut than math.