Resource Needed - Regression Analysis

Raptor

I thought this may be a good place to ask. I've been assigned a math project where I demonstrate the utility of Calculus from everyday occurrences. I chose to look at the stock market.

Our teacher showed us a resource called meta-calculator that has a statistics calculator that allows you to enter some data (in my case stock price and date) and plots either a linear, quadratic, cubic, exponential, or logarithmic function based on the data itself. So let's say I gather data for 2 months, I put in data for one month into this calculator and compare it with the actual data.

The problem is that this resource is REALLY lacking. I have no way to save my data or function, and I have to enter all the data manually each and every time.

Now because I'm in a Calculus class and not a Statistics class, I'm not sure if there are any other options I can use to help me along. I would really love something that would let me import excel data somehow, but I would settle for something that would allow me to save my work so I can come back to it.

Are there any resources out there I may not be aware of that has these features? Keep in mind that I need regression analysis for linear functions as well as some others. Some of the resources I found online only have linear regression analysis.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I thought this may be a good place to ask. I've been assigned a math project where I demonstrate the utility of Calculus from everyday occurrences. I chose to look at the stock market.

Our teacher showed us a resource called meta-calculator that has a statistics calculator that allows you to enter some data (in my case stock price and date) and plots either a linear, quadratic, cubic, exponential, or logarithmic function based on the data itself. So let's say I gather data for 2 months, I put in data for one month into this calculator and compare it with the actual data.

The problem is that this resource is REALLY lacking. I have no way to save my data or function, and I have to enter all the data manually each and every time.

Now because I'm in a Calculus class and not a Statistics class, I'm not sure if there are any other options I can use to help me along. I would really love something that would let me import excel data somehow, but I would settle for something that would allow me to save my work so I can come back to it.

Are there any resources out there I may not be aware of that has these features? Keep in mind that I need regression analysis for linear functions as well as some others. Some of the resources I found online only have linear regression analysis.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Well you could download the data analysis package for excel and then just do the math in excel.

i do not mean to rain on your parade, but any short-term analysis of the stock market is going to be primarily driven by statistics and probability theory. Just how are you intending to apply calculus?

Thanks JeffM. Based on the project requirements the 'application' of Calculus really just means our teacher wants us to find the derivative, do a second derivative test, find the crit values and relative/absolute extrema. The more I'm working on this project the more I realize that you're right. However, following the stock market was actually one of the teacher's example topics and we have about 5 other people doing the same.