Returning members (New ones)

Probability

I was actively involved in a post in trig a couple of days ago when a new member was asking about solving a problem in the branch of mathematics known as 'Mechanics', the poster did not provide any work to show where any help was required. I senior member advised that some members when posting don't return and as such the thread then does not reach a conclusion, so I was wondering if some of that problem might be down to new members not "Book marking" this forum before they leave?

As a member on here since around 2012 I know that any replies I receive from threads or posts I make I am not aware of these unless I return back to the forum (Such that) I must remember which forum it was I posted on!!

Would it not be better then for the forum board to be setup such that an email is sent to the poster when replies are made! At least then new poster are alerted to where they posted and which forum!

Food for thought!

I was actively involved in a post in trig a couple of days ago when a new member was asking about solving a problem in the branch of mathematics known as 'Mechanics', the poster did not provide any work to show where any help was required. I senior member advised that some members when posting don't return and as such the thread then does not reach a conclusion, so I was wondering if some of that problem might be down to new members not "Book marking" this forum before they leave?

As a member on here since around 2012 I know that any replies I receive from threads or posts I make I am not aware of these unless I return back to the forum (Such that) I must remember which forum it was I posted on!!

Would it not be better then for the forum board to be setup such that an email is sent to the poster when replies are made! At least then new poster are alerted to where they posted and which forum!

Food for thought!
I do get email notifications whenever someone replies in a thread where I posted.

I myself turned off email notification some time ago because I was getting far too many notifications, and spending too much time responding immediately. Now I just check in periodically.

But the default was (I think?), and should be, to enable notifications when you join. Is that not still true?

My guess is that when people don't respond, it's typically because they wanted a complete answer, and aren't interested in interacting. But that may not always be true.

Yeah, I personally have no use for notifications because I frequently check new activity. I don't know how the default is set though.

My guess is that when people don't respond, it's typically because they wanted a complete answer, and aren't interested in interacting. But that may not always be true.

I tend to think this covers a large portion of (new) users posting questions and never returning to follow up. They likely post their question on several different sites and wait to see which is going to provide a complete solution without them actually having to understand anything or do any work. Perhaps that's a bit harsh, but it's a feeling that's developed over the last decade or so. :)

Maybe someone can look into what the default is and make sure it set to email notification? Please.

Maybe someone can look into what the default is and make sure it set to email notification? Please.

I don't have access to the AdminCP here, but this appears to be the default settings:

fmh_defaultreg.png

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the time you spent on this.

I help admin two math help sites running XenForo 2.x and have it installed on my local server, and they are all set up the same way with content being automatically watched by default.

Having now juts looked into my account settings I have another problem. My email address expired many years ago because the service provider closed the account. There is a facility to change the email address but I can't change it without changing the password, and the forum wants me to enter my old password before I can change it, which is a little impossible because I can't for the life of me remember what it is?

Having now juts looked into my account settings I have another problem. My email address expired many years ago because the service provider closed the account. There is a facility to change the email address but I can't change it without changing the password, and the forum wants me to enter my old password before I can change it, which is a little impossible because I can't for the life of me remember what it is?

Only an admin can help you get the email addy associated with your account changed under the circumstances you cited. You'll have to contact @Ted for that. :)

I've managed to update my email account name and change the password. I found a tick box to say I can be notified via email when a poster replies. Hopefully everything will work ok.