Riddle

jnfisher

There are three people (Xavier, Yani, and Zena), one of whom is a doctor, one a lawyer, and one a plumber. The doctor always tells the truth, the lawyer always lies, and the plumber can either lie or tell the truth.

Xavier says: "Zena is a lawyer"
Yani says: "Xavier is a doctor"
Zena says: "I am the plumber"

Who is the doctor, who is the lawyer, and who is the plumber?

There are three people (Xavier, Yani, and Zena), one of whom is a doctor, one a lawyer, and one a plumber. The doctor always tells the truth, the lawyer always lies, and the plumber can either lie or tell the truth.

Xavier says: "Zena is a lawyer"
Yani says: "Xavier is a doctor"
Zena says: "I am the plumber"

Who is the doctor, who is the lawyer, and who is the plumber?
What are your thoughts? What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Hi. This problem is an exercise in logical deduction. One way to start is to make a guess, followed by analyzing the individuals' declarations and the given truths in terms of your guess, to see whether there's a contradiction. If your guess leads to a contradiction, then it's wrong. Guess again.

Eventually, your guesses and checks will lead to three matches which are not contradicted by any of the given declarations; your matches will jive with all of the given truths.

EG:

My first guess is that Zena is the doctor.

A given truth is that the doctor never lies.

The given declaration of Zena is "I am the plumber."

It is a lie for a doctor to claim to be a plumber. Hence, my guess that Zena is the doctor contradicts a given truth.

My guess was wrong. I need to make another guess and analyze again.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited: