RIP Denis Borris

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Dear Members,

It is with sorrow that I announce the passing of longtime member Denis. We had not seen Denis since the beginning of summer, so I began looking for information. I found a death notice from his brother Remi, in a weekly newspaper published where Denis grew up (Glengarry, Ontario, Canada). Denis died at 9:15am on Thursday, June 27, 2019.

Denis will be missed. He had worked 40 years as an analyst in the banking industry; his insight on matters financial served many students well. Denis was also an avid puzzle solver and creator; his name appears in puzzle books, and he'd contributed to several web sites. (Denis introduced me to cryptic crossword clues.) He was also fond of coding in BASIC; he regularly wrote programs to find or confirm results for questions and riddles. Of course, Denis loved his hockey, too!

And we shall not soon forget Denis' blunt approach and irreverent commentary. His dark-humored wit and secular viewpoints made us smile (most of the time). Denis would pepper his postings with wisecracks, parody, pranks and repartee.

To our late friend, let us raise a toast: May our figments imagine Denis for years to come!

~ Mark

"The only people who start at the top are those digging holes." ~ Denis Borris

??

Thank you for passing along this information, Mark. He will truly be missed in the math help communities. Many is the time I got sent to "the corner" by Denis. He was known as "Wilmer" at MHB, and was a major contributor for students posting financial/business questions. I recall him having in his signature at one point:

"I am a man of few words, but I use 'em often."

I am so sad to hear this. I was almost afraid of this news - and the inevitable happened.
He had a superb "hand" of writing - made me think many a things....
He was such proud grand-father - his grandson is an accomplished base-ball player. Although Denis and I did not see eye-to-eye across the cricket pitch, although I would not have recognized him if I saw him on the road walking - I wish I had a chance to shake his hands.....

I just saw this post. I am sad to learn of his passing. Death continues to be humanity's foe. May peace dwell in the lives of those he left behind. Thank God for Denis and his contribution to this site and others. Gone but not forgotten.

Early this month I sent a message to Denis asking if everything was ok after not seeing him around. Today I searched the forum to see if there was any post about Denis and I immediately found this one.

Denis and I, believe it or not, always messaged problems between us. He was such a great guy and will be missed greatly by this forum.

This new has really saddened me

Beer soaked grieving follows.

Having a hard time coping with an old friend's passing; still hoping that he's still out there somewhere.
Sir Denis will tell you that I be fluent in drunk language; I've also became rather fluent in a Denis composition. Without further ado, with a little help from friend Google, I give you a genuine Denis:

THERE

It is a tradition in many clubs to post notices of the deaths of members. One member reading such a notice asked "Why is it always the wrong one." That kind of mordant comment would have appealed to mon ami Denis. I am sad tonight.
I seem to recall being greatly helped here more than once by someone with the site name: Denis. And I recognize the signature he apparently used. I hope it was an easy passing.
By the way...I also seem to recall that question cited above, namely, "Why is it always the wrong one?" Who said it? W C Fields? or James Thurber...someone of that humorous ilk. A good epitaph.

I seem to recall being greatly helped here more than once by someone with the site name: Denis. And I recognize the signature he apparently used. I hope it was an easy passing.
By the way...I also seem to recall that question cited above, namely, "Why is it always the wrong one?" Who said it? W C Fields? or James Thurber...someone of that humorous ilk. A good epitaph.
Actually, I seem to recollect that it was Oliver Hereford, an author and illustrator who began his career in an era when public humor was kinder than Thurber's and less raunchy than Fields's. But I have not found confirmation of my recollection, and I am too old to rely solely on my memory. Hereford originated the phrase "a whim of iron" so he has the right tone.

Actually, I seem to recollect that it was Oliver Hereford, an author and illustrator who began his career in an era when public humor was kinder than Thurber's and less raunchy than Fields's. But I have not found confirmation of my recollection, and I am too old to rely solely on my memory. Hereford originated the phrase "a whim of iron" so he has the right tone.
I am sure I've read something like this and it was in connection with the death of a writer. And also implicated is the New Yorker magazine. But the actual words used here have no presence on the internet. No attributions. Well, I guess it's just another of life's little mysteries.At least for the time being.

I know this was a year ago but I want to say that this is so sad! May he rest in peace. His death reminds me that death is inevitable. You will die for sure at a time in your life and that scares me a lot. Its good to live a good life because you never know when your gonna die.