Rotating systems

Win_odd Dhamnekar

What are the meanings of highlighted expressions in the following image?

1654880811021.png

What is the meaning of highlighted expression and how the 3 × 3 square matrix is derived in the following image?

1654881556412.png

Is \(\displaystyle \dot{R}R^T\) equal to derivative of R times transpose of R? Is R(t) vector?

If any member knows the answers to these questions may reply.

[imath]R(t)[/imath] is a 3x3 matrix corresponding to the rotation transform at time [imath]t[/imath]. .......................................edited
[imath]r(t)[/imath] is the result of the rotation of [imath]\rho[/imath] at time [imath]t[/imath]
Because rotation matrices are unitary we have [imath]R^{-1} = R^T[/imath], which means that [imath]\dot r = \dot R \rho = \dot R R^{-1} r = \dot R R^T r[/imath]
Since [imath]R R^T=I[/imath], i.e. constant we have [imath]\frac{d}{dt} (RR^T) = 0 = \dot R R^T + R \dot R^T[/imath].
Can you figure out the rest?

[imath]r(t)[/imath] is a 3x3 matrix corresponding to the rotation transform at time [imath]t[/imath].
[imath]r(t)[/imath] is the result of the rotation of [imath]\rho[/imath] at time [imath]t[/imath]
Because rotation matrices are unitary we have [imath]R^{-1} = R^T[/imath], which means that [imath]\dot r = \dot R \rho = \dot R R^{-1} r = \dot R R^T r[/imath]
Since [imath]R R^T=I[/imath], i.e. constant we have [imath]\frac{d}{dt} (RR^T) = 0 = \dot R R^T + R \dot R^T[/imath].
Sorry for the typo : [imath]R(t)[/imath] is a 3x3 matrix, not [imath]r(t)[/imath] :( ...............................fixed
Which way is the corner?

You can't leave the corner until your time is up. Now you have to do double the original time. At least blamocur will be there to keep you safe.

[imath]R(t)[/imath] is a 3x3 matrix corresponding to the rotation transform at time [imath]t[/imath]. .......................................edited
[math] \rho =\begin{bmatrix} x \\y \\z \end{bmatrix}, R(t) = Q(z,\alpha) = \begin{bmatrix} \cos{\alpha} & -\sin{\alpha} & 0 \\ \sin{\alpha} & \cos{\alpha} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/math]Now, [math]r(t) = R(t)\rho = \begin{bmatrix} -y\sin{\alpha} + x\cos{\alpha} \\ y\cos{\alpha} + x\sin{\alpha} \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/math]
At any instant,as observed in the fixed system,
\(\displaystyle \frac{dr}{dt} = \dot{R}\rho + R\dot{\rho}\) but the second term is zero since we assume \(\displaystyle \rho\)] to be constant, so, we have
\(\displaystyle \frac{dr}{dt} = \dot{R}R^T r = \begin{bmatrix} -y\cos{\alpha}- x\sin{\alpha} \\ -y\sin{\alpha} + x\cos{\alpha} \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, \dot{R}R^T + R \dot{R^T} = 0 \)

\(\displaystyle \dot{R}R^T = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\) is anti-symmetric.

Now, how to prove \(\displaystyle (v)\dot{r}= \omega \times r\) using cross product operator \(\displaystyle \omega \times\) where \(\displaystyle \omega = [xyz]^T ?Note: \omega= \)Angular velocity of point P

Last edited:
Now, how to prove \(\displaystyle (v)\dot{r}= \omega \times r\) using cross product operator \(\displaystyle \omega \times\) where \(\displaystyle \omega = [xyz]^T ?Note: \omega= \)Angular velocity of point P
I didn't check the rest but for this last part the units don't match. So you shouldn't be able to.

-Dan

[math] \rho =\begin{bmatrix} x \\y \\z \end{bmatrix}, R(t) = Q(z,\alpha) = \begin{bmatrix} \cos{\alpha} & -\sin{\alpha} & 0 \\ \sin{\alpha} & \cos{\alpha} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/math]Now, [math]r(t) = R(t)\rho = \begin{bmatrix} -y\sin{\alpha} + x\cos{\alpha} \\ y\cos{\alpha} + x\sin{\alpha} \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/math]
\(\displaystyle \frac{dr}{dt} = \dot{R}\rho + R\dot{\rho}\) but the second term is zero since we assume \(\displaystyle \rho\)] to be constant, so, we have
\(\displaystyle \frac{dr}{dt} = \dot{R}R^T r = \begin{bmatrix} -y\cos{\alpha}- x\sin{\alpha} \\ -y\sin{\alpha} + x\cos{\alpha} \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, \dot{R}R^T + R \dot{R^T} = 0 \)

\(\displaystyle \dot{R}R^T = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\) is anti-symmetric.

Looks you are only considering one special case, i.e., rotation about z-axis - why?

Looks you are only considering one special case, i.e., rotation about z-axis - why?
At the beginning the author says ' Consider a body which is rotating with the constant angular velocity \(\displaystyle \omega\) about some axis passing through the origin.'s'.
Author didn't say 'about all axis passing through the origin'. That's why I considered only one case.

At the beginning the author says ' Consider a body which is rotating with the constant angular velocity \(\displaystyle \omega\) about some axis passing through the origin.'s'.
Author didn't say 'about all axis passing through the origin'. That's why I considered only one case.
I thought 'some' means 'arbitrary', and the following statements seem to confirm that. On the other hand, I just realized that you are not solving a problem but trying to digest some text from a book. Looking at special cases in this situation can actually be quite useful, so my question does not make sense.

What is [imath]\dot R[/imath] in your special case?

I got as author said \(\displaystyle (v)\dot{r}= \omega \times r \). So, I tagged this question as 'SOLVED'.
I went back and scanned the whole thread. You correctly solved the problem, so far as I can see. But you should know that this is not a derivation of [imath]\dot{r} = \omega \times r[/imath]. The form [imath] [ xyz ]^T [/imath] is not an angular velocity. Whoever wrote the problem was using an analogy that shows the motion is obtained using the cross product, nothing more.

-Dan

I went back and scanned the whole thread. You correctly solved the problem, so far as I can see. But you should know that this is not a derivation of [imath]\dot{r} = \omega \times r[/imath]. The form [imath] [ xyz ]^T [/imath] is not an angular velocity. Whoever wrote the problem was using an analogy that shows the motion is obtained using the cross product, nothing more.

-Dan
\(\displaystyle \omega= [0,0,1], \overrightarrow{r}\) have been given in #7.

\(\displaystyle \therefore [0,0,1] \times [-y\sin{\alpha}+ x \cos{\alpha}, y\cos{\alpha} + x\sin{\alpha},z ]= [-y\cos{\alpha} - x\sin{\alpha}, -y\sin{\alpha} + x\cos{\alpha}, 0] \)

So, we get \(\displaystyle \dot{r} =\omega \times r\) what author said/got.

\(\displaystyle \omega= [0,0,1], \overrightarrow{r}\) have been given in #7.

\(\displaystyle \therefore [0,0,1] \times [-y\sin{\alpha}+ x \cos{\alpha}, y\cos{\alpha} + x\sin{\alpha},z ]= [-y\cos{\alpha} - x\sin{\alpha}, -y\sin{\alpha} + x\cos{\alpha}, 0] \)

So, we get \(\displaystyle \dot{r} =\omega \times r\) what author said/got.
Like I said, you did what the problem as the author said. But the units are all wrong. [imath] [xyz]^T[/imath] cannot be an angular speed because it has the wrong units. This is not a derivation of [imath]\dot{r} = \omega \times r[/imath].

Loosely speaking: Let there be an axis of rotation and take polar coordinates r, [imath]\phi[/imath] in the plane perpendicular to the rotation axis. let there be an angle of [imath]\theta[/imath] between v and r. (v is the total velocity, all we want is the tangential component.)

Then [math]\vec{\omega } = \omega \hat{k} = \dfrac{d \phi }{dt} \hat{k} = \dfrac{v ~ sin( \theta )}{r} \hat{k} = \dfrac{v r ~ sin( \theta )}{r^2} \hat{k} = \dfrac{ \textbf{v} \times \textbf{r} }{r^2}[/math]
and from there we get [imath]\omega = v_t \times r[/imath]

-Dan

Like I said, you did what the problem as the author said. But the units are all wrong. [imath] [xyz]^T[/imath] cannot be an angular speed because it has the wrong units. This is not a derivation of [imath]\dot{r} = \omega \times r[/imath].

Loosely speaking: Let there be an axis of rotation and take polar coordinates r, [imath]\phi[/imath] in the plane perpendicular to the rotation axis. let there be an angle of [imath]\theta[/imath] between v and r. (v is the total velocity, all we want is the tangential component.)

Then [math]\vec{\omega } = \omega \hat{k} = \dfrac{d \phi }{dt} \hat{k} = \dfrac{v ~ sin( \theta )}{r} \hat{k} = \dfrac{v r ~ sin( \theta )}{r^2} \hat{k} = \dfrac{ \textbf{v} \times \textbf{r} }{r^2}[/math]

-Dan
I don't understand how did you compute \(\displaystyle \frac{d\phi}{dt}= \frac{v \sin{\theta}}{r}\). When I glanced at your answer, what I understood is depicted pictorially below:

1655104824954.png

Now, would you explain me how did you compute \(\displaystyle \frac{d\phi}{dt}= \frac{v \sin{\theta}}{r} ?\)

-Dan
I agree that \(\displaystyle \frac{d\phi}{dt}\hat{k} =\frac{v \sin{\theta}}{r}\hat{k}\).

But finally, how did you compute from\(\displaystyle \frac{d\phi}{dt}\hat{k} =\frac{v \times r}{r^2}\hat{k}\) to \(\displaystyle \omega = v \times r\)

I agree that \(\displaystyle \frac{d\phi}{dt}\hat{k} =\frac{v \sin{\theta}}{r}\hat{k}\).

But finally, how did you compute from\(\displaystyle \frac{d\phi}{dt}\hat{k} =\frac{v \times r}{r^2}\hat{k}\) to \(\displaystyle \omega = v \times r\)
\(\displaystyle ω=v×r\displaystyle \omega = v \times rω=v×r\)
That equation is INCORRECT - because dimensions do not balance. Look at response #8

Yeah, this is why you should never do Physics at 1AM! Sorry about that.

You are looking for an expression for v. So
[imath]\omega = \dfrac{v \times r}{r^2}[/imath]

(I'm dropping the "t" in the v_t here. Note that v and r are at right angles.)

[imath]r \times \omega = r \times \dfrac{v \times r}{r^2} = \dfrac{1}{r^2} r \times (v \times r)[/imath]

[imath]r \times \omega = \dfrac{1}{r^2} ( ( r \cdot r ) v + (r \cdot v) r )[/imath]

Again, v and r are perpendicular so [imath]r \cdot v = 0[/imath] and [imath]r \cdot r = r^2[/imath], so we have
[imath]r \times \omega = \dfrac{1}{r^2} r^2 v = v[/imath]

Therefore [imath]v = r \times \omega[/imath].

-Dan