• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

Rule of elimination

Linty Fresh

So I'm trying to teach myself about Bayes' Theorem, and in deriving it, we total up P(A ? B[sub:26r8gu1y]i[/sub:26r8gu1y]) x P(B[sub:26r8gu1y]i[/sub:26r8gu1y]) for all of event B to get P (A). My question is how we get the rule of elimination that allows us to figure this out? Is it a complicated problem, or am I missing something really obvious? How do we get P(A)=sum(P(A ? B))?

Thanks!

pka

Elite Member
Linty Fresh said:
So I'm trying to teach myself about Bayes' Theorem, and in deriving it, we total up P(A ? B[sub:3ldh7e8j]i[/sub:3ldh7e8j]) x P(B[sub:3ldh7e8j]i[/sub:3ldh7e8j]) for all of event B to get P (A). My question is how we get the rule of elimination that allows us to figure this out? Is it a complicated problem, or am I missing something really obvious? How do we get P(A)=sum(P(A ? B))?
What you are missing is the concept of a partition of the space.
The collection \(\displaystyle \{B_1,B_2,\cdots,B_n\}\) is a collection of pair-wise disjoint non-empty subsets such that \(\displaystyle \bigcup\limits_n {B_n } = S\).
That is, the partition ‘fills up’ the whole space.
Therefore, the event \(\displaystyle A\) is also partitioned by that collection: \(\displaystyle A = \bigcup\limits_n {\left( {A \cap B_n } \right)}\)
Because they are pair-wise disjoint, we can simply add the probability of the parts.
So \(\displaystyle P(A) = \sum\limits_n {P\left( {A \cap B_n } \right)} = \sum\limits_n {P\left( {A|B_n } \right)P\left( {B_n } \right)}\)