Rules

Fesup

I am new too all this. havnt done algebra in over 30 years. trying to teach myself all this I have to take an entrance exam for a tech school. There seems too be a ton of rules to remember . what would you say are the most important to remember

The most common stuff is usually summarized on the inside covers of textbooks.

Also, if you can go to a college bookstore, look for mathematics review sheets. They're usually a two-sided, plastic laminated sheet crammed with the basics. (I'm not suggesting that you buy one.)

There are many web sites that teach algebra. HERE IS ONE.

If you ever get stuck on an exercise or concept, then come back here and post a specific question.

Most importantly, realize that placement tests are designed to tell you in which math course you belong. If you approach the placement test with the notion that the better you do on this test the less time and money you'll need to invest at school, then you're not only missing the entire point of taking the placement test to begin with, but you'll probably wind up short-changing yourself in the long run. (At the very least, you'll be setting yourself up for torture by jumping in over your head.)

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS WHEN TRYING TO LEARN MATHEMATICS!

If you have not done algebra in over 30 years, then you should probably enroll in the beginner's class, rather than trying to teach yourself before entering the tech school.

(Maybe the placement test results will show that you need to take an arithmetic course before starting algebra! We see many examples of students struggling with algebra exercises that, in the end, boil down to things like not knowing how to add two fractions together or not knowing their multiplication table.)

Fesup said:
I am new too all this. havnt done algebra in over 30 years. trying to teach myself all this I have to take an entrance exam for a tech school....
What does that mean: that the test you'll get in order to enter the tech school will contain a few algebra questions?