Scalar product problem

damon354

Hello,
I am stuck on this problem:

A, B, C and D are four points such that:
[MATH]\overrightarrow{BA} [/MATH] ⋅ [MATH]\overrightarrow{BD}[/MATH] ≤ 0 and [MATH]\overrightarrow{DB} [/MATH] ⋅ [MATH]\overrightarrow{DC}[/MATH] ≤ 0
Prove that AC ≥ BD.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum!
You asked for help but failed to state what type of help you need. Remember that this is a math help forum so we do not solve problems for students. We prefer that the student solve their own problem with hints from helpers on the forum.
What do these dot products being negative tell you? How can a dot product be positive?

A, B, C and D are four points such that:
[MATH]\overrightarrow{BA} [/MATH] ⋅ [MATH]\overrightarrow{BD}[/MATH] ≤ 0 and [MATH]\overrightarrow{DB} [/MATH] ⋅ [MATH]\overrightarrow{DC}[/MATH] ≤ 0
Prove that AC ≥ BD.
Are you expected to use purely vector methods to prove it?

What have you tried?

No it is an open problem. I you can give me a starting point or hints...
What does "open problem" mean? I presume you mean there are no stated restrictions on how you do it; but that doesn't tell me what methods are actually available to you. What topics have you been learning? What theorems are available? Proofs always have context.

I want to know what you have learned, and where you are stuck. Please read our guidelines:

In any case, I would first restate what is given in terms of whatever method you are interested in trying. You might define some vectors (e.g. u = AB, ...) and state the givens and the goal in those terms; or you might approach it geometrically by stating that angles ABD and BDC are obtuse. But do something, so we have a place to start.

In terms of vectors, you want to show that `|AC| >= |BD|`; my first thought is to aim at `|AC|^2 - |BD|^2 >= 0`, and express that in terms of dot products.