scalar question question please help

Summer5526

stuck on this question:

the question:

a line that passes through the origin intersects a plane at point ( 1, -3, 2). if the line is perpendicular to the plane, find the scalar equation of the plane.

I suspect the reason no one has replied is that "scalar equation of the plane" is not standard vocabulary.
The two points \((0,0,0)~\&~(1,-3,2)\) determine a line with direction \(\left<1,-3,2\right>\)
with equation \(\dfrac{x}{1}=\dfrac{y}{-3}=\dfrac{z}{2}\) (symmetric form) or \(x(t)=t~~,y(t)=-3t~,\text{ and }z(t)=2t\) (parametric form}
Now \((x-1)-3(y+3)+2(z-2)=0\) is the equation of the plane containing two points and normal to the line.
that’s what I was saying but my teacher put this exact question on an assignment and i’ve never been so confused! thank you for your help

the question: a line that passes through the origin intersects a plane at point ( 1, -3, 2). if the line is perpendicular to the plane, find the scalar equation of the plane.
I suspect the reason no one has replied is that "scalar equation of the plane" is not standard vocabulary.
The two points \((0,0,0)~\&~(1,-3,2)\) determine a line with direction \(\left<1,-3,2\right>\)
with equation \(\dfrac{x}{1}=\dfrac{y}{-3}=\dfrac{z}{2}\) (symmetric form) or \(x(t)=t~~,y(t)=-3t~,\text{ and }z(t)=2t\) (parametric form}
Now \((x-1)+(y+3)+(z-2)=0\) is the equation of the plane containing two points and normal to the line.

Last edited: