Scientific Notation problem. Help please!!

lillybeth

This is the problem i need help with-
7*10to the negative seventh power
over 14*10to the second power

please help!

This is the problem i need help with-
7*10to the negative seventh power
over 14*10to the second power

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{7 \times 10^{-7}}{14 \times 10^2} \ = \)

\(\displaystyle \bigg(\dfrac{7}{14}\bigg)\bigg(10^{-7 - 2}\bigg) \ = \)

\(\displaystyle 0.5 \times 10^{-9} \ = \ ?\) <------ This is not finished yet.

Have you seen any steps of a scientific notation problem that look like the ones above?

Last edited:
???

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{7 \times 10^{-7}}{14 \times 10^2} \ = \)

\(\displaystyle \bigg(\dfrac{7}{14}\bigg)\bigg(10^{-7 - 2}\bigg) \ = \)

\(\displaystyle 0.5 \times 10^{-9} \ = \ ?\)

Have you seen any steps of a scientific notation problem that look like the ones above?

Yes, I have seen steps of Scientific notation like what you did, but i have two questions. 1. How do you get 0.5 out of 7/14? and 2. In 0.5 * 10 to the negative 9th power, do you move the decimal to the left instead of the right to get the standard notation form? If i am correct, i think the answer is .000000005.
Thanks for all of the help!

Yes, I have seen steps of Scientific notation like what you did, but i have two questions. 1. How do you get 0.5 out of 7/14? and 2. In 0.5 * 10 to the negative 9th power, do you move the decimal to the left instead of the right to get the standard notation form? If i am correct, i think the answer is .000000005.
Thanks for all of the help!
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{7}{14} = \dfrac{7 * 1}{7 * 2} = \dfrac{1}{2} = what\ in\ decimal\ notation?\) You KNEW the answer to that question.

Are you asked to give the answer in decimal notation? Because, having started in scientific notation, it is MUCH easier to stay there.

\(\displaystyle 0.5 * 10^{- 9} = 5.0 * 10^{-1} * 10^{-9} = 5.0 * 10^{(-1 - 9)} = 5.0 * 10^{-10}.\)

Now if you are to give an answer in decimal notation, you convert from the above. What do you get?

What is decimal notation?

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{7}{14} = \dfrac{7 * 1}{7 * 2} = \dfrac{1}{2} = what\ in\ decimal\ notation?\) You KNEW the answer to that question.

Are you asked to give the answer in decimal notation? Because, having started in scientific notation, it is MUCH easier to stay there.

\(\displaystyle 0.5 * 10^{- 9} = 5.0 * 10^{-1} * 10^{-9} = 5.0 * 10^{(-1 - 9)} = 5.0 * 10^{-10}.\)

Now if you are to give an answer in decimal notation, you convert from the above. What do you get?

Well, I was asked to wright the answer in standard form. Anyway, I can't exactly answer your question, because i don't know decimal notation yet. I already have my answer, but thanks for all the help anyway.

Well, I was asked to wright the answer in standard form. Anyway, I can't exactly answer your question, because i don't know decimal notation yet. I already have my answer, but thanks for all the help anyway.
Lilybeth

Are you telling me that you never saw numbers like 0.25 = 1/4 or 2.5 = 5/2? THAT is decimal notation. You can't do scientific notation without knowing decimal notation.

In 0.5 * 10 to the negative 9th power, do you move the decimal to the left instead of the right to get the standard notation form?

Always move the decimal point to the left, when the exponent is negative.

If i am correct, i think the answer is .000000005

You are not correct. Count carefully. :cool:

PS: We use the caret symbol ^ to show exponents, and we text grouping symbols around negative exponents:

0.5*10^(-9)

oh yeah?

You are not correct. Count carefully.

Well, thats how i answered the question in my homework, and it was counted as correct. Count again, mmm4444bot.

Lilybeth

Are you telling me that you never saw numbers like 0.25 = 1/4 or 2.5 = 5/2? THAT is decimal notation. You can't do scientific notation without knowing decimal notation.

oh. i didnt know that was what you called it.

Well, thats how i answered the question in my homework, and it was counted as correct. Count again, mmm4444bot.

You stated that 0.5*10^(-9) equals 0.000000005

Did you make any typographical errors in your post(s)? :cool:

:-(

Count carefully, and you will answer your own question. :cool:

I have answered my question!!! I say that my answer is correct. I still get the same answer. But you say that my answer is incorrect. How did you get that my answer is incorrect? :confused:

I have answered my question!!!

Good grief! Now you're talking about a different question.

The question that you just asked is, "What is the [correct] answer?"

I had thought that you could answer this question by carefully counting the number of places that you moved the decimal point, but I was mistaken in thinking that. You want to be argumentative, instead.

Goodbye (until you are willing to accept constructive criticism) :cool:

I'm not trying to be argumentative!!!

Good grief! Now you're talking about a different question.

The question that you just asked is, "What is the [correct] answer?"

I had thought that you could answer this question by carefully counting the number of places that you moved the decimal point, but I was mistaken in thinking that. You want to be argumentative, instead.

Goodbye (until you are willing to accept constructive criticism) :cool:

Sorry for seeming argumentative. Anyway, I did recount the zeros, so thanku. :oops: But, why didnt u say or at least hint to me what i missed?

why didnt u say or at least hint to me what i missed?

In general, I do not lead people around by the hand. In particular, I expect people who present themselves as intelligent (eg: you) to exert their own mental efforts.

Rhetorical: Are you now claiming to have not understood my original intent, when I hinted to "count carefully"? If this is so, then your correct choice of action should have been to ask me what I meant by suggesting "count carefully".

Otherwise, you're simply wasting your time by charging full-steam-ahead with an assumption that you did not make any mistakes versus double-checking your work after receiving suggestions to do so.

Cheers :cool:

PS: 0.5*10^(-9) is not Scientific Notation

In general, I do not lead people around by the hand. In particular, I expect people who present themselves as intelligent (eg: you) to exert their own mental efforts.

Rhetorical: Are you now claiming to have not understood my original intent, when I hinted to "count carefully"? If this is so, then your correct choice of action should have been to ask me what I meant by suggesting "count carefully".

Otherwise, you're simply wasting your time by charging full-steam-ahead with an assumption that you did not make any mistakes versus double-checking your work after receiving suggestions to do so.

Cheers :cool:

PS: 0.5*10^(-9) is not Scientific Notation

I have never presented my self as "smart!" trust me, im not.