Sean's Plan: Math

harpazo

Hello. For this question, I need a, b, and c. To answer b, we need information from the Elijah's Plan math question texted before this one. Like I said in the previous post, just going through a very emotional ride at the moment with moving and everything else going on. Thank you. Below is my work for the equation.

Sean's Plan Equation

Select two points from the chart.

(6, 33)

(12,66)

Find the slope.

m = 66 - 33 ÷ 6

m = 33 ÷ 6

m = 5.5

Use the point-slope formula.

y - 33 = 5.5(x - 6)

y = 5.5x - 33 + 33

y = 5.5x

Correct?

123_1.jpg

Hello. For this question, I need a, b, and c. To answer b, we need information from the Elijah's Plan math question texted before this one. Like I said in the previous post, just going through a very emotional ride at the moment with moving and everything else going on. Thank you. Below is my work for the equation.

Sean's Plan Equation

Select two points from the chart.

(6, 33)

(12,66)

Find the slope.

m = 66 - 33 ÷ 6 Brackets!!

m = 33 ÷ 6

m = 5.5

Use the point-slope formula.

y - 33 = 5.5(x - 6)

y = 5.5x - 33 + 33

y = 5.5x

Correct? Check it yourself. Does each y equal 5.5 times x ?

View attachment 14093
see red comments
What was Elijah's rate in dollars per mile?
What is Sean's rate is dollars per mile?
Use these answers to answer (b) and (c).

Last edited:
see red comments
What was Elijah's rate in dollars per mile?
What is Seans rate is dollars per mile?
Use these answers to answer (b) and (c).

Yea, every y does equal 5.5 times x. I am stuck here. This equation as well as the other equation for Elijah's Plan passes through the origin. Can I say that the first y dollar and mile x needed to complete the table chart is the point (0,0)?

(0,0) would work. ie he gets 0 dollars if he walks 0 miles. That makes sense.
I think they might be after the unit rate ie 1 for x and ? for y ie if he walks 1 mile how much $ will he get.

(0,0) would work. ie he gets 0 dollars if he walks 0 miles. That makes sense.
I think they might be after the unit rate ie 1 for x and ? for y ie if he walks 1 mile how much $ will he get.

If he walks 1 mile, he gets 5.5 dollars. Based on this data, Sean earns more money than Elijah per miles walked. How much more does Sean earn than Elijah?

For part b:

Sean earns more money per mile.

For part c:

I say Sean earns a half more per mile.

Yes?
(b) correct
(c) earns a half what more per mile? half a chocolate bar, half a cent, half a dollar, half an elephant ? units!!!

(b) correct
(c) earns a half what more per mile? half a chocolate bar, half a cent, half a dollar, half an elephant ? units!!!

Sean earns half a dollar more per mile.

I subtracted 5 from 5.5 to arrive at this conclusion. Is my answer correct for c?

Yes that's correct. Well done.
Just one thing if this was a real life question say you earned $5.50 per mile and your brother earned $5.00 per mile, would you say
"I earn half a dollar per mile more than him" or "I earn 50 cents per mile more than him"? Both are correct, but what language would you use.

Yes that's correct. Well done.
Just one thing if this was a real life question say you earned $5.50 per mile and your brother earned $5.00 per mile, would you say
"I earn half a dollar per mile more than him" or "I earn 50 cents per mile more than him"? Both are correct, but what language would you use.

I would say that I earn 50 cents more each mile than my brother.

Yeah so that would be a "better" way to write the answer. Keep it real! The other one is still correct though.