Second Derivative Test

CoreyyV

Using the second derivative test, find whether the function: x^3-9x^2-48x+52, when x=8

Okay, what's stopping you from finding the first two derivatives?

What is the "second derivative test"?

We need to see where you are and what you have tried.

It seems that your question is incomplete.

Using the second derivative test, find whether the function: x^3-9x^2-48x+52 is what, when x=8

Okay, what's stopping you from finding the first two derivatives?

What is the "second derivative test"?

We need to see where you are and what you have tried.
I realized that I did not add in the second part of the question which asks to find whether the function has a local minimum or maximum when x=8 using the second derivative test.

I found (what I thought) is the second derivative:
6x-18
Then when x=8, I plugged that into the function and got:
48-18---> 30
I see that it is greater than 0 so I assume that the function has a local minimum, but was unsure if I was correct.

It seems that your question is incomplete.

Using the second derivative test, find whether the function: x^3-9x^2-48x+52 is what, when x=8
I'm sorry, I did leave out the second part of the question without realizing it.
The second part is to find whether the function as a local minimum or maximum when x=8 using the second derivative test.

Using the second derivative test, find whether the function: x^3-9x^2-48x+52, when x=8
Please, Please, read your post. Does it contain a complete question?
If \(y=x^3-9x^2-48x+52\) then \(y"=6x-18\). From that one may ask "where is a point of inflection?"
OR "is the graph of \(y\) concave up at \(x=8~?\)
So what is this question?

Last edited:
I mistakenly did not put the complete question in my initial post. The complete question is as followed:

The functionf(x) =x^3−9x^2−48x+ 52 has either a local minimum or local maximum at x= 8. Use the second derivative test to figure out which it is.

Please, Please, read your post. Does it contain a complete question?
If \(y=x^3-9x^2-48x+52\) then \(y"=6x-18\). From that one may ask "where is a point of inflection?"
OR "is the graph of \(y\) concave up at \(x=3~?\)
So what is this question?
My apologies for not putting the complete question in my post, it was a mistake. The complete question is as follows:

The function f(x) =x^3−9x^2−48x+ 52 has either a local minimum or local maximum at x= 8. Use the second derivative test to figure out which it is.