Second Order Differential Equation: y''-9y=4+5sinh(3x)

lch

Hi all,

Consider a homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficient: y''-9y=4+5sinh(3x), and the homogeneous solution is given by yh (x)= C1e3x+C2e-3x.
But I don't know how to find out the particular solution, and the answer is yp(x)=-(4/9)+(5/6)x cosh(3x).

Sorry for my poor English and thanks for your help!

Hi all,

Consider a homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficient: y''-9y=4+5sinh(3x), and the homogeneous solution is given by yh (x)= C1e3x+C2e-3x.
But I don't know how to find out the particular solution, and the answer is yp(x)=-(4/9)+(5/6)x cosh(3x).

Your English is fine. What have you tried, where are you stuck? If we know where you are having trouble, then we know how to help you. So please show us your work, even if you know its wrong and you will get excellent help.

Your English is fine. What have you tried, where are you stuck? If we know where you are having trouble, then we know how to help you. So please show us your work, even if you know its wrong and you will get excellent help.

Well, actually I have no idea about what to do next. :(
What I have tried is.....

m2-9=0
So, yp=C2x2+C1x+C0
yp'= 2C2x+C1
yp''=2C2

Then by substituting back into the equation, I have got
2C2-9(C2x2+C1x+C0)= 4+5sinh(3x)

By comparing the like terms,
-9C2=0
C2=0

2C2-9C0=4
Therefore, C0=-(4/9)

I am not sure about if I did it correctly or in the correct way. And I don't know what to do next.

Hi all,

Rewrite your homogeneous solution as:

yH = A sinh(3x) + B cosh(3x)

That might help you think about the nature of the particular solution. We encounter this condition for "resonance without dampening" vibration problems.