seems too easy to be true

allegansveritatem

Here is the problem:

Here is exercise 68 that is alluded to above--in the book it is divided by a page break so I am going to type the first part (in order not to stuff too many images into one post) and then I will upload the second part that contains the diagram):

Length of a Tightrope: The figure illustrates the apparatus for a tightrope walker.Two poles are set 50ft apart,

Here is my solution to this:

This is the only way I could see to work this out. It surprised me that it was so easy....which puts me on my guard. Is the the way to go with this problem?

It's mostly that easy. The only detail you missed is that the h you got is 2 feet less than his actual height above ground. You would have seen that if you had actually drawn a horizontal line 2 feet above the ground in order to make similar triangles.

And, of course, you didn't finish by expressing h as a function of t (replacing d with 2t).

It's mostly that easy. The only detail you missed is that the h you got is 2 feet less than his actual height above ground. You would have seen that if you had actually drawn a horizontal line 2 feet above the ground in order to make similar triangles.

And, of course, you didn't finish by expressing h as a function of t (replacing d with 2t).
Right...of course. They are asking for height above the ground. I think I was being influenced by fact that before I worked this problem out I went back and redid #68 where the the length of the shorter pole on the right bears on the accuracy of the result. And yes, I jumped the gun a little with the naming of the function. Thanks for checking my solution.

I was thinking again about this problem while listening to the birds chirping outside my early morning window. It suddenly occurred to me that I somehow must account for that 24 inch deficit on the right side. Here is how it could be done and done with ease: h(2t)= 28/57.3 (2t) +2. No?

Last edited:
I think that's just what I said, and you agreed: The h you are looking for is 2 feet more than the h you had calculated.

Now, they asked for height above ground as a function of t, so the final answer will be either just h = 0.9773t + 2, or h(t) = 0.9773t + 2 if you want to explicitly indicate a function.

AS an addendum to my last post: If I kept the first factor such: 30/
I think that's just what I said, and you agreed: The h you are looking for is 2 feet more than the h you had calculated.

Now, they asked for height above ground as a function of t, so the final answer will be either just h = 0.9773t + 2, or h(t) = 0.9773t + 2 if you want to explicitly indicate a function.
Yes, I know that you pointed out the problem with my solution. But I starting thinking about that 2 feet on the right...I mean...if I use 30 and and 50 as the squared factors to find the hypotenuse squared won't I come up with a slightly off figure for the denominator of the ratio that I include in my function? That was one of my thoughts..

Yes, that would be off. But you used 28 and 50, which is correct. There is no right triangle with legs 30 and 50 here.

I wonder if you have yet drawn the picture I suggested you needed in order to see everything clearly. Draw a horizontal line through the right attachment point 2 feet off the ground. This forms a right triangle with legs 28 and 50, and when you draw a vertical line through the person, you get a similar triangle with leg h-2 and hypotenuse d.

Right. What I was thinking re hypotenuse would't make sense. We have to shave two feet off bottom of the left pole to achieve a right triangle. And really, I knew that because I worked out (again!)the problem referenced in this problem just before I tangled with this one. So...just not thinking (again!). Thanks.