sequence divergence proof

shelly89

Can someone please explain this proof to me, I dont understand how \(\displaystyle N = 4M^{2} \)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 20.44.05.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 20.44.05.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 20.44.15.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 20.44.15.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 10
I dont understand how \(\displaystyle N = 4M^{2} \)
The "how" is because they "let" ("decided", "created the expression and made it so") the one be equal to the other. ;)

I see, but why specifcally choose 1/4?

what they did (while you weren't looking) was to work the problem backwards starting from the last statement an > M.

That ended up requiring that \(\displaystyle N=\left\lfloor 4 M^2\right\rfloor\) and so by choosing N to be this value they worked the problem forwards (while you were looking) to show an > M.

shelly89 said:
I dont understand how [FONT=MathJax_Math]N[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]4[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]M[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT]
The "how" is because they "let" ("decided", "created the expression and made it so") the one be equal to the other. ;)
A more interesting question would be "Why," instead of "How." If you look through the proof, you will suddenly see a step where the square root of N must be greater than 2M. So make that an initial statement!

It is sort of like Jeopardy, where you have to find a question for a given answer.