Server is back online now :)

Ted

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure we're back up for good now. I ended up moving to a more powerful server, and then it took me forever to get the database back up and ready to go. All the posts until Friday night are up here I think, and I don't anticipate losing anything else. Please let me know if you have any problems related to the forums.

I got some of your suggestions before the old site went down, and I'll try to implement them when I get a chance. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I hope it won't happen again. Thanks so much for your understanding!

Ted

LaTeX test: \(\displaystyle 3x+6=9\)
ps I will be able to install the actual LaTeX on this server, so we will have much better looking formulas :D

Re: Back up now :)

Real LaTeX test: \(\displaystyle (4x+7)/6y\)

I can't tell if the "actual LaTeX" is generating better graphics or not... one of you guys with experience can probably let me know if its better now.

Also - forums/topics/search results are now clickable... as in the whole row is clickable, not just the link itself. Nice feature.

Ted

Would it be possible (and this may only be me) to look into a theme that gives more contrast between every other post? The two very close shades of blue make it hard on my eyes..... but if I'm the only one, than nevermind.

Hmm don't think you're the only one jwpaine. It took a while before I got a bit used to this theme. For me, the old one with the yellow and gray was more easier on the eyes.

Better alternating colors now? I made one much darker.

o_0, do you notice a difference now?

I actually don't myself - but it might just be me.... or it's 1:00 in the morning. I like the contrast between the freemathhelp header and the bar below it (visible on all forum pages). Would that be too much of a contrast to have on all posts?

Are you not seeing it like this? Maybe try reloading the page a few times?

********************************************** Screen shot below *****************************
Yeah, this is going to look deceptively like the rest of this screen and confuse people... but this is what you should be seeing

ss2wt8.gif

Hmm.... Firefox 2.0.0.9 is not displaying the colors which you have made an image of in your post: is that a web-safe color? If it is, I'll have to see what's wrong with my browser.

EDIT: now it works - I had to log out and log back in....that was odd

Looks good. Thanks!

Ted said:
Better alternating colors now? I made one much darker.
It's not so much the contrast between the consecutive posts (though this is much better now); it's more a matter of the contrast between the font color and the background color. I don't think the default text in the text-entry boxes is black, and the overall font-face default seems to be a fairly "narrow" one.

I have to say that, for us oldsters, gray on blue is not very easy to read. (I wear bifocals, and my uncorrected vision is about 20-400. Long periods of squinting or straining tends to make my eyes cross.)

Thank you.

Eliz.

phpBB 3 =) Awesome. How come in Fire Fox I see the word Reply laid on top of the image that says Reply?

I don't know. I see it too, and so do other people with phpBB3. I want to fix it, but nobody seems to know what's up! Annoying, i know......