Should helpers be checking homework?

blamocur

Elite Member
One of my least favorite types of posts has several pages of hardly legible scribbles containing solution(s) to homework problem(s), and a request to make sure that everything is correct. After spending a lot of time verifying every line and pointing out numerous errors a helper often gets back a response like "OK. So what should I do there?"

This is not a completely useless activity, but this is something that actual teachers will do anyways, and they usually do it better and much more efficiently (because they check lots of similar homework and are more familiar with the subject). Sure, by doing a "pre-check" on this forum the students can slightly improve their grades, but is this the best way to use our (helpers') time?

Personally, grades improvement is not high on my list of priorities. I get most gratification when I feel that I helped someone to better understand math concepts (which often leads to even better grade improvement), but I am interested in hearing from other helpers. In particular, should the forum guidelines discourage these types of posts?

P.S. The situation is different with self-learners who don't have teachers to check their work, so I'd be more tolerant with them.

One of my least favorite types of posts has several pages of hardly legible scribbles containing solution(s) to homework problem(s), and a request to make sure that everything is correct. After spending a lot of time verifying every line and pointing out numerous errors a helper often gets back a response like "OK. So what should I do there?"

This is not a completely useless activity, but this is something that actual teachers will do anyways, and they usually do it better and much more efficiently (because they check lots of similar homework and are more familiar with the subject). Sure, by doing a "pre-check" on this forum the students can slightly improve their grades, but is this the best way to use our (helpers') time?

Personally, grades improvement is not high on my list of priorities. I get most gratification when I feel that I helped someone to better understand math concepts (which often leads to even better grade improvement), but I am interested in hearing from other helpers. In particular, should the forum guidelines discourage these types of posts?

P.S. The situation is different with self-learners who don't have teachers to check their work, so I'd be more tolerant with them.
I would say it's up to the individual Helper. Unless it's Physics I don't often check homework solutions. (And not even that often with Physics.) I personally prefer to answer questions. But if someone wants to spend the time, I don't see any problem with it. I'd rather see that posted here than know that a student who wanted to make sure they understood it didn't get the help that they might need. That's pretty much what we are here for.

Now, there do have to be some rules. I wouldn't want a member to post a 20 problem homework set and ask us to look it over. That's asking too much from one thread.

-Dan