Show the set T is a vector subspace of R^3

Bronn

T = { Sum( µivi , i = 1..4 ): µi is an element of R, 1<= i <= 4 } where v1, v2, v3, v4 are fixed vectors in R^3

the solution so far:

so if I expand the summation and call it v

v = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4

it is this correct?

so I have to show it fulfills having the zero vector and closure under addition/multiplication by a scalar.

1. since µi is of R then setting those to zero give a zero vector.

2. closure under addition and multiplication by a scalar is where I'm stuck. And its probably due to me not being very comfortable with sigma notation.

If I say let u, v be an element of T and u = µ1u1 + µ2u2 + µ3u3 + µ4u4 and v = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4
then
v + u = µ1( v1 + u1 ) + µ2( v2 + u2 ) + µ3( v3 + u3 ) + µ4( v4 + u4 )

this is where I'm a bit confused (assuming I've even got anything correct to this point)

are all the vectors subscript 1 the same? since it says "where v1, v2, v3, v4 are fixed vectors in R^3 "

so are u1 and v1 the same fixed vector? so if that's the case then v1 + u1 would be the same as 2v1 and then you can pull the factor out showing the addition of the two vectors is n element of T?

I may be way off but that's all I could think of.
cheers for any help.

T = { Sum( µivi , i = 1..4 ): µi is an element of R, 1<= i <= 4 } where v1, v2, v3, v4 are fixed vectors in R^3
the solution so far:
so if I expand the summation and call it v
v = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4 it is this correct?
so I have to show it fulfills having the zero vector and closure under addition/multiplication by a scalar.
1. since µi is of R then setting those to zero give a zero vector.
2. closure under addition and multiplication by a scalar is where I'm stuck. And its probably due to me not being very comfortable with sigma notation.
If I say let u, v be an element of T and u = µ1u1 + µ2u2 + µ3u3 + µ4u4 and v = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4
then v + u = µ1( v1 + u1 ) + µ2( v2 + u2 ) + µ3( v3 + u3 ) + µ4( v4 + u4 )
this is where I'm a bit confused (assuming I've even got anything correct to this point)
are all the vectors subscript 1 the same? since it says "where v1, v2, v3, v4 are fixed vectors in R^3 "
so are u1 and v1 the same fixed vector? so if that's the case then v1 + u1 would be the same as 2v1 and then you can pull the factor out showing the addition of the two vectors is n element of T?
Do you that if \(\displaystyle \mathcal{S}\subseteq\mathbb{R}^3\) to prove that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{S}\) is a vector space you must show:
1) \(\displaystyle 0\in\mathcal{S}\)
2) for any scalar \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and any elements \(\displaystyle \{x,y\}\subset\mathcal{S}\) then \(\displaystyle \alpha x+y \in \mathcal{S}\)
For #1 realize that any four vectors in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^3\) are linearly dependent. That gives us a non-trivial sum equaling zero.
#2 is the easy part. You seem to have already done that part.

then
v + u = µ1( v1 + u1 ) + µ2( v2 + u2 ) + µ3( v3 + u3 ) + µ4( v4 + u4 )

I think you've misread the description of T. The vectors v1, v2, v3, v4 are fixed - that means that they are given to you at the start; you don't get to replace them with some other vectors u1, u2, u3, u4 . What varies from one element of T to another are the µi. That is, the elements of T are all linear combinations of the given v's.

So two elements of T are not u = µ1u1 + µ2u2 + µ3u3 + µ4u4 and v = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4, but a = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4 and b = λ1v1 + λ2v2 + λ3v3 + λ4v4.

Do you that if \(\displaystyle \mathcal{S}\subseteq\mathbb{R}^3\) to prove that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{S}\) is a vector space you must show:
1) \(\displaystyle 0\in\mathcal{S}\)
2) for any scalar \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and any elements \(\displaystyle \{x,y\}\subset\mathcal{S}\) then \(\displaystyle \alpha x+y \in \mathcal{S}\)
For #1 realize that any four vectors in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^3\) are linearly dependent. That gives us a non-trivial sum equaling zero.
#2 is the easy part. You seem to have already done that part.
I don't know all of that set notation but I know it must satisfy the 3 axioms of having a zero, closure under multiplication by scalar and closure under addition.

I think you've misread the description of T. The vectors v1, v2, v3, v4 are fixed - that means that they are given to you at the start; you don't get to replace them with some other vectors u1, u2, u3, u4 . What varies from one element of T to another are the µi. That is, the elements of T are all linear combinations of the given v's.

So two elements of T are not u = µ1u1 + µ2u2 + µ3u3 + µ4u4 and v = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4, but a = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4 and b = λ1v1 + λ2v2 + λ3v3 + λ4v4.

oh, thanks.

so for addition:
if µ,λ are an element of R and v,u are an element of T

where u = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4 and v = λ1v1 + λ2v2 + λ3v3 + λ4v4

then

v + u = ( µ1 + λ1)v1 + ( µ2+ λ2)v2 + ( µ3+ λ3)v3 + ( µ4+ λ4 )v4

and because µ,λ are an element of R and R is closed under addition then their sums are also an element of R
and therefore v + u is an element of T, and T is closed under addition?

as for closure under multiplication by a scalar:

if v is an element of T and µ,λ are an element of R

where v = λ1v1 + λ2v2 + λ3v3 + λ4v4

then µv= µλ1v1 + µλ2v2 +µλ3v3 + µλ4v4

so because µ,λ are an element of R their products are also and therefore v is an element of T, and T is closed under multiplication by a scalar.
that right?

Last edited:
I don't know all of that set notation but I know it must satisfy the 3 axioms of having a zero, closure under multiplication by scalar and closure under addition.

oh, thanks.

so for addition:
if µ,λ are an element of R and v,u are an element of T

where u = µ1v1 + µ2v2 + µ3v3 + µ4v4 and v = λ1v1 + λ2v2 + λ3v3 + λ4v4

then

v + u = ( µ1 + λ1)v1 + ( µ2+ λ2)v2 + ( µ3+ λ3)v3 + ( µ4+ λ4 )v4

and because µ,λ are an element of R and R is closed under addition then their sums are also an element of R
and therefore v + u is an element of T, and T is closed under addition?

as for closure under multiplication by a scalar:

if v is an element of T and µ,λ are an element of R

where v = λ1v1 + λ2v2 + λ3v3 + λ4v4

then µv= µλ1v1 + µλ2v2 +µλ3v3 + µλ4v4

so because µ,λ are an element of R their products are also and therefore v is an element of T, and T is closed under multiplication by a scalar.
that right?
if µ,λ are an element of R and v,u are an element of T, then what are µi and λi. There are NO µ and λ. There are scalars µ1, µ2, µ3, µ4, λ1, λ2, λ3, and λ4 and they are all in R. Also if µ,λ are in R, they are not an element of R, but rather they are elements of R.

Just clean it up a bit and you'll have it!

if µ,λ are an element of R and v,u are an element of T, then what are µi and λi. There are NO µ and λ. There are scalars µ1, µ2, µ3, µ4, λ1, λ2, λ3, and λ4 and they are all in R. Also if µ,λ are in R, they are not an element of R, but rather they are elements of R.

Just clean it up a bit and you'll have it!
I knew I was being sloppy at the bolded but those subscripts were being a pain in the *** to type out lol

thanks again