Sigma Lh=Rh: We have Sigma notation k=3 to n; (2k-1)n....we have to prove this is equal to n^3-4n

View attachment 35301
I really am trying....I just don't get this...
P is incorrect. The latter one is correct. That's good progress so far.

Let's focus on the \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=3}^n 1\)

From the link, you learned that \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n c = nc\). Notice that the rule's sum starts at [imath]k=1[/imath], whereas yours start at 3 so we need to make some adjustment.

[math]\sum_{k=1}^n 1 = 1 + 1 + \sum_{k=3}^n 1\\ \sum_{k=1}^n 1 =2 + \sum_{k=3}^n 1\\ n =2 + \sum_{k=3}^n 1\\ \text{therefore } \sum_{k=3}^n 1 = n-2[/math]

Similarly, [math]\sum_{k=1}^n 2k = 2 + 4 +\sum_{k=3}^n 2k \\ 2\red{\sum_{k=1}^n k} = 6 +\sum_{k=3}^n 2k \\ 2\red{\dfrac{n(n+1)}{2}} = 6 +\sum_{k=3}^n 2k \\ \text{therefore } \sum_{k=3}^n 2k = n(n+1) -6[/math]
The sum in red is something that wasn't mentioned in the link but here's some information on it. Can you put it all together now?

Last edited:
P is incorrect. The latter one is correct. That's good progress so far.

Let's focus on the \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=3}^n 1\)

From the link, you learned that \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n c = nc\). Notice that the rule's sum starts at [imath]k=1[/imath], whereas yours start at 3 so we need to make some adjustment.

[math]\sum_{k=1}^n 1 = 1 + 1 + \sum_{k=3}^n 1\\ \sum_{k=1}^n 1 =2 + \sum_{k=3}^n 1\\ n =2 + \sum_{k=3}^n 1\\ \text{therefore } \sum_{k=3}^n 1 = n-2[/math]

Similarly, [math]\sum_{k=1}^n 2k = 2 + 4 +\sum_{k=3}^n 2k \\ 2\red{\sum_{k=1}^n k} = 6 +\sum_{k=3}^n 2k \\ 2\red{\dfrac{n(n+1)}{2}} = 6 +\sum_{k=3}^n 2k \\ \text{therefore } \sum_{k=3}^n 2k = n(n+1) -6[/math]
The sum in red is something that wasn't mentioned in the link but here's some information on it. Can you put it all together now?
Hi BigBeachBanana,

Below a question on the adjustment we had to make:IMG20230325092435.jpg

Hi BigBeachBanana,

Below a question on the adjustment we had to make:View attachment 35331
Recall
[math] \begin{aligned} \sum_{k=1}^n2k &= 2(1) + 2(2) + 2(3) + ... + 2(n)\\ &= 2 + 4 + \sum_{k=3}^n2k \end{aligned} [/math]
Similarly,
[math]\sum_{k=1}^n3k = 3(1) + 3(2) + 3(3) + ... + 3(n)[/math]
The k gets enumerated by 1 every time.

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n 1\) does not have k inside so there's nothing to enumerate.

Last edited:
Then here my sum....I am beginning to understand the rules we have with regards to Sigma, just like we have Log rules, exponential rules, root rules, and so on...
However, subtracting the two expressions from one another, still does not provide the correct answer...
Recall
[math] \begin{aligned} \sum_{k=1}^n2k &= 2(1) + 2(2) + 2(3) + ... + 2(n)\\ &= 2 + 4 + \sum_{k=3}^n2k \end{aligned} [/math]
Similarly,
[math]\sum_{k=1}^n3k = 3(1) + 3(2) + 3(3) + ... + 3(n)[/math]
The k gets enumerated by 1 every time.

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n 1\) does not have k inside so there's nothing to enumerate.
Understood, thank you

Attachments

• IMG20230325152434[1].jpg
    IMG20230325152434[1].jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
Then here my sum....I am beginning to understand the rules we have with regards to Sigma, just like we have Log rules, exponential rules, root rules, and so on...
However, subtracting the two expressions from one another, still does not provide the correct answer...

Understood, thank you
Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 9.39.24 AM.png
You forgot the [imath]n[/imath] you factored out in the very first step.

[imath]n(n^2-4) = n^3-4n[/imath]

AAAhhhh...Thank you so much. I have had a rough time with this one, but I have learnt a great deal...I am very grateful, thank you very much for your patience and time with me...Stay blessed.
Have a look at THIS LINK!