Simple Equation needed for program I'm writing

ycomp

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct forum. I need to come up with an equation for this. Can someone help?

I want to be able to transform any number on the left side into that on the right side.

I have given a list of examples to see what I mean.

300 = 0.5
150 = 1
75 = 2
37.5 = 4

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct forum. I need to come up with an equation for this. Can someone help?

I want to be able to transform any number on the left side into that on the right side.

300 = 0.5
150 = 1
75 = 2
37.5 = 4
It would be very helpful to have the rule by which the numbers are transformed. We can try to deduce it from your examples, but this would not be the best approach, since other examples may not follow the rule we propose. Do you know the rule, or at least, a description of what's going on?

It's confusing to write equals (=) between two quantities that aren't equal. Better to present your numbers in a table and assign variable names...

xy

300 = 0.5
150 = 1
75 = 2
37.5 = 4
It's safest to work out a rule from knowledge of where the numbers came from, which can suggest a likely form of rule; in hard cases, it can be quite literally impossible, given only sample values. But in this case, it is not hard to see a convincing explanation.

Do you see that when you halve the input, you double the output? What does that imply about the product of input and output? How, then, might you find the output?

please look at the x/y table Cubist created above.

the rule would be if you divide the number on the left by n you multiply the the number on the right by n, that is how the values in that table were created.

I want to have an equation that solves for y given a value of x

please look at the x/y table Cubist created above.

the rule would be if you divide the number on the left by n you multiply the the number on the right by n, that is how the values in that table were created.

I want to have an equation that solves for y given a value of x
Yes, and that's what I hinted at when I said this:
What does that imply about the product of input and output?
In fact, what is the product of x and y on each line?

This will allow you to directly calculate y from x.

sorry.. it was late last night, I was quite tired. I forgot to mention that the table was the special case where f=150

so I would like to create a general purpose equation using x, y and f that when f=150 would spit out any of those values in the table.

and the equation that I'm interested in starts y = ...

however any equation that shows the relationship between the values is fine.

I realize this is quite basic but I haven't done basic math in years and for some reason I'm having a mental block here.

y = f / x

I'm an idiot lol

Last edited: