Simple Factoring Problem

Ebba Sen Pai

I know this isn't a tough problem, but I am having a complete disconnect from how it can be factored given what I know about factoring. I know it is a trinomial with a leading coefficient besides 1, thus I can use the AC method, but I don't see what numbers would help me build my 4 terms to continue factoring. My humblest thanks on this problem. If anyone could explain how and what the next steps are I would be humbled. I used MathPapa and Symbolab on this problem which were helpful with the solutions, just not the why.

\[ 2x^2+x-1 \]

Thanks o_O

I know this isn't a tough problem, but I am having a complete disconnect from how it can be factored given what I know about factoring. I know it is a trinomial with a leading coefficient besides 1, thus I can use the AC method, but I don't see what numbers would help me build my 4 terms to continue factoring. My humblest thanks on this problem. If anyone could explain how and what the next steps are I would be humbled. I used MathPapa and Symbolab on this problem which were helpful with the solutions, just not the why.

\[ 2x^2+x-1 \]

Thanks o_O
You do know that there isn't a good definition of "tough problem", right?

There is only one way to Factor that "2" and only one way to factor 1.

Your answer will look like this: (2 ___ 1)(x ___ 1).
You have to decide which blank gets "+" and which gets "-".

If you want to use the ac method then you need to find two numbers which multiply to make -2 (because ac=-2) and add to make 1 (because b=1).

Those two numbers are 2 and -1. Now you can proceed with the method.